Strange MGB electrics?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
jagiron

Strange MGB electrics?

#1 Post by jagiron » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:57 pm

Replaced an overdrive switch on gearlever of my 78 MGB, found wiring inside melted white/brown wire back to the loom.
Isolated problem wire, no apparent damage to other wiring!!!!Now car will not run.Ignition light comes on and stays on, some of dials and gauges do`nt work.Ckecked fuses all OK.Car will start but only runs for a few minutes then dies.It would appear to be a "shorting" or earth problem, but can`t find anything. Please any suggestions. :cry:

kevin

Re: Strange MGB electrics?

#2 Post by kevin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:13 pm

If there are melted wires in one part of the loom then it's a fair chance that there may be additional issues else where, just need to be methodical in checking the loom run, check the earths as well.
Is there a chance of rodents munching on the wiring in your garage?

Kev

jagiron

#3 Post by jagiron » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Thanks Kev, possible rodents, do catch mice now and again, not aware of any in car, but will check. Earth(s) appear Ok.
Ron

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:40 am

i restored several mgs & with the last one i fitted a new loom.. money well spent. although it melted the o/d switch wire once..

jagiron

#5 Post by jagiron » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:18 am

Thanks Rich, sorry for late replies, on hols.Yes the main problem seems to stem from o/d switch.Haveisolated the cables running from there, checked loom as much as posts, may now seek professional help, as electrics still haywire!