Steering box fluid/oil

Post your technical queries / problems here!
Luxobarge

Steering box fluid/oil

#1 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi chaps,

Just a quick one - what type/grade of oil should I use in a steering box?

The car in question is a 1954 Reliant Regal, steering column goes into an alloy steering box which operates an arm at the side which (through an amusingly complex series of linkages) turns the front wheel. It doesn't turn it far, this thing has the turning circle of the Titanic, but there you go....

I'm not bothered if it's not the precise fluid that Reliant recommend, but can you tell me at least what would be tylically used in such a steering box? Straight SAE30 Engine oil? Multigrade? Hypoy EP90? EP140? Power Steering fluid? I've got some of all of these, just need to know which is best.

The steering is a bit stiff, and I'm going to start by topping it up, and if this doesn't improve it I will back off the adjustment a little until there's a decent balance between free play and stiffness. But let's make sure it's got the right amount of oil first, eh?

Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

rich.

Re: Steering box fluid/oil

#2 Post by rich. » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:39 pm

can we have pics of this beast?

Classic Microcars

#3 Post by Classic Microcars » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:02 pm

I think if I had to guess, I would put EP80W90 in it.

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:30 pm

Classic Microcars wrote:I think if I had to guess, I would put EP80W90 in it.
Me too, but I'd rather know for sure what normally goes in them. Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Luxobarge

#5 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:31 pm

rich. wrote:can we have pics of this beast?
Sorry mate, not at the mo., there are a varety of reasons...... Cheers!

gazza82

#6 Post by gazza82 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Probably something like Hypoid 90 ... it's similar to my A35 and that's what the manual states

Luxobarge

#7 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:47 pm

gazza82 wrote:Probably something like Hypoid 90 ... it's similar to my A35 and that's what the manual states
Are you sure? I'd have thought an A35 has a rack, not a box?

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:39 pm

Rick, unless the box is perfect, most owners use Molybdenum-based grease in there, though the original recommendation is for a non-EP (yellow metals are present..) 90 weight oil. 140 is another worthwhile upgrade, it all depends on the extent to which an original box can be made not to dribble and which parts can be found for overhaul.

Yep, A30/A35 has a box & idler arrangement that lived on a late as 1968 in A40s and A35 commercials. Only the Spridget and Minor were blessed with rack & pinion steering.
The box in the Regal is probably a Triumph Mayflower one though I'm reliably informed that some left Tamworth with Ford steering boxes. Using a later Regal steering arm (from the OHV, "Only Fools & Horses" style Regals) will reduce the amount by which the box can move the wheel as the ratio of side arm length to drop arm travel will then be all to cock and that can cause the turning circle to be too large as the box runs out of travel too soon. Another bodge that I recall seeing - on an otherwise beautifully restored SV Regal at a local show some decades ago - was the fitment of a much later, ex Robin, leading arm to the Regal's chassis. The Robin's arm was designed to take a ten inch front wheel so, when that same arm was bodged onto the Regals front lower crossmember and used with the larger wheel found in the Regal, all manner of bodgery had to be used to prevent the wheel catching on the leading arm. I saw Dexion that day, but it wasn't being used for supporting shelves!

I get that we can't have photos to drool over, but if you can measure the lengths of drop arm, side arm and track rod it would help to determine whether the vehicle has been lashed up with mismatched steering parts at some time in its past.
Last edited by JPB on Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

gazza82

#9 Post by gazza82 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:47 pm

JPB beat me to it ... yes, box ... although I know of some A35s now fitted with racks, they weren't simple to install ...

Our Technical Information Officer on the A30/35 Club doesn't agree with grease as it gets pushed away. His view is if the box leaks, fix the leak and use the correct stuff!

There is a lubricant made by Penfolds that has the consistency of honey .. maybe like EP140 .. apparently that's good, but I've not tried it.

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:59 pm

Moly grease is semi liquid and probably could be said to have a honey-like consistency, on a scale where the grease used in wheel bearings has the consistency of cold Marmite ( :drool: ) and silicon grease, as used in the fitting of hydraulic seals, has a consistency more akin to that of double cream ( :drool: :drool: ), but yes, where parts can be obtained or adapted then yes, the correct lubricant is best, but most steering boxes suffer from the sort of wear that survives the reconditioning process these days and sometimes, it's necessary to make the best of that which is available.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: