Reliant brake parts

Post your technical queries / problems here!
Luxobarge

Reliant brake parts

#1 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi guys,

Can't say too much at the mo but I'm involved in restoring the running chassis of a 1954 Reliant Regal 3-wheeler - the one with the 750cc side-valve engine.

I've got a major problem with the front brake:

Firstly both shoes are so rusty the lining has come off the steel shoe - anybody got any ideas where I could get a new pair of shoes or get these ones re-lined? The brake drum is 7-inch internal diameter if that helps.

Secondly, I need a wheel cylinder - deally a pair. it's twin leading shoe, so two cylinders and they're both the Girling Dialloy type, it's difficult to read the part numbers on them but it looks like the following:

Feed cylinder (from flexi-pipe) = 36300 (could be 35300 or 38300, second digit is indistinct)

Bleed cylinder (end of run) = H.O. 5348 (could be 5848, second digit is indistinct).

Same question - any idea where I could get replacements? The bleed cylinder really needs to be replaced as a large lump of alloy is broken off around the bleed nipple, it might be possible to resurrect the other one but ideally I'd need at least seal kits etc.

The backplate, springs and drum are in great condition, but need to sort the shoes and cylinders if I'm going to have a front brake. Master cylinder is good too, haven't got around to taking the rear brakes apart yet.

Any ideas or info gratefully received!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

Re: Reliant brake parts

#2 Post by JPB » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:33 pm

http://www.r3w.co.uk/index.html might be a useful link. R3W used to exist as a forum, then it vanished but (very) recently the name has been put back to work and the new resource is intended not as a forum but purely as a source of information, so possibly someone connected with that site will tell you exactly which types of Minors and Morris 10s the brake parts were supplied for.
Then there's Elvis Payne, a man who, along with his brother Geoff (apologies to the man if it's with a J and not a G but I can't remember.. :oops: ), has had a lot of sidevalve Reliant experience as well as being knowledgeable about the newer cars. Elvis' site is at http://www.3wheelers.com/ . That's Elvis himself, fifth of the five photos in the bottom row about half way down the first page.

Names to avoid for fear of being ripped off and supplied with unusable old crap are available if required..
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#3 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Thanks John - I'll try those avenues.

So far I've got a couple of "vintage" parts companies to try, and I'm in the process of sourcing some brake lining material, so I'll probably re-line the shoes myself. That leaves the cylinders, so your links may well help by telling me what other (more common) cars these cylinders were fitted to. Surely they won't be unique to Reliant??

Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Quick update - the linings are now in the post, so that's the shoes sorted, I shall enjoy riveting them on!

I've also e-mailed Elvis for advice, but in the mean time I contacted Powertrack Ltd. who did me a very good service a while back for Midget clutch seals. The man immediately recognised what I needed and knew the right parts, unfortunately they're out of stock, but are in the process of being re-manufactured. Should be available in 4 - 6 weeks, and as it'll take me a heck of a lot longer than this to do the rest of the vehicle that's actually no problem. They can also supply me with a new flexi-hose too, so good news all round!

Any more ideas welcome, but otherwise will update here as things progress.

Cheers!

gazza82

#5 Post by gazza82 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:05 pm

I don't know if it helps but the Austin A30/A35/A40 MkI range has 7" drums and front brakes are two leading shoe types. The A3x has clicker wheel adjusters on the two cylinders but the A40 had micram (snail). A40 Mk II and Minor were 8" drums.

The Reliant is a similar era so it could be they shared parts? Although I seem to recall the Austin had Lockheed cylinders ... I remember a lot of yellow boxes of seals from the 70s!

BTW .. TWO 7" drums on a A35 weren't great stoppers, so would hate to rely on one! ;)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Luxobarge

#6 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:12 pm

Thanks Gazza - however, you're right, those cars used Lockheed brakes, and are totally different - e.g. the cylinders are cast-iron, mine are alloy.

Still, we'll see what Powertrack come up with!