Replacement fuel tanks

Post your technical queries / problems here!
gazza82

Replacement fuel tanks

#1 Post by gazza82 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Having an over-50 year old has it's problems ... one is a leakage ... :oops:

... from a rusty fuel tank (yes, I'm talking cars) ... ;)

and with ethanol additives in fuels reportedly increasing the amount of water that can be in this too, leaks are getting more common.

Has anyone got any contacts for a manufacturer of replica fuel-tanks???
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

TerryG

Re: Replacement fuel tanks

#2 Post by TerryG » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:17 pm

Is your tank too far gone to patch / use a POR15 tank sealer?
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

suffolkpete

#3 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:04 am

gazza82 wrote:Having an over-50 year old has it's problems ... one is a leakage ... :oops:

... from a rusty fuel tank (yes, I'm talking cars) ... ;)

and with ethanol additives in fuels reportedly increasing the amount of water that can be in this too, leaks are getting more common.

Has anyone got any contacts for a manufacturer of replica fuel-tanks???
Don't know where you're based, but Sheldrake & Wells of Ipswich will repair fuel tanks, but don't expect it to be cheap, although if it isn't too far gone, I'd do as Terry suggests.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

gazza82

#4 Post by gazza82 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:25 am

TerryG wrote:Is your tank too far gone to patch / use a POR15 tank sealer?
I managed to find a 2nd hand replacement tank (with slightly more capacity too!) but plenty of my A30/A35 owner colleagues are struggling to find anything repairable ... a few have tried POR15 but the tank insides have to be really clean and rust free to work. A lot are beyond that and more holes than tin ... !! And once you start the de-rusting process, more become porous even using the mildest of cleaning agents (most use molasses!).

The Owners' Club is going to look at trying to find a supplier as part of the club spares scheme but that is going to take time to set up. I was trying to help by finding some potential suppliers. We know the source of some MG Midget tanks .. they are in Canada though! A30/A35 tanks are similar but not interchangeable unfortunately (and van and countryman tanks different again!).

Because the tank is located under the boot floor, behind the rear axle, plastic might not be the best material. My existing tank has lost the drain plug courtesy of a high kerb and was bodged back in the 70s with a healthy dose of fibreglass mat and resin! It worked but I'm not sure it would be a good idea to continue to use that one. Until I get the car home and start striping I don't know if it would be a candidate for a proper repair.

I'll post up suffolkpete's suggestion as it may help a few in the interim.

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

gazza82

#5 Post by gazza82 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:38 pm

I thought I'd just follow this up ..

... the Owners' Club have started to get replacement tanks made. We get them in small batches due to using a smaller production team .. and sell out quick!

They are a very "slightly" different shape (only a problem for concours) and don't come with the filler neck so are OK for saloons and vans. You attach the old next (after cutting it off .. they rarely rust) and use a rubber/silicone hose and jubilee/mikalor clips to attach it. Even over-filled (filling the neck to the cap they don't leak at the joints!).

Club felt it was a necessary part to have re-made and this is what the Club's Spares Project is all about .. getting parts made that don't exist or where current replacement parts are "suspect" .. safety items especially.

Twix2021

#6 Post by Twix2021 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:12 pm

How do i get in touch with the owners club to get one of these? My dad is struggling to get one for his Austin A35.
Many thanks
Vicky

gazza82

#7 Post by gazza82 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:34 pm