alternator

Post your technical queries / problems here!
rich.

alternator

#1 Post by rich. » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:18 pm

hello chaps! my 86 jcb has developed an annoying fault with the charging circuit, it charges fine but after a few minutes & working about 14/1600 rpm the charge light comes on.. i used to run the heater fan & it would go out. now it doesnt make any difference. i checked the output & its about 14.2 volts & recently i had the lights on smelt burning & the switches were melting.. our local alternator centre checked it for me & say the alternator while old & noisy is working fine & suggested i check the connector block.. done this & it seems to be connecting ok.. another thing i spotted today was a 30 amp blade fuse has started to melt too.. :(
any advice is welcome!

suffolkpete

Re: alternator

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:39 pm

When anything like that starts to melt it could be a sign either of a poor connection/contact in the offending unit or it is drawing far more current than was intended, maybe a short in the lighting circuit. I don't think your charging light coming on is related to this, looks like na separate fault. Heaters in JCBs, what next :shock:
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:40 am

thanks mate! the heater was one of the first things i repaired after i drove home once in freezing conditions :lol:

pryantcc

#4 Post by pryantcc » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Can you find a wire that connects to that 30A fuse that is hot (temperature hot, not American live hot!)? It might be traceable back to some failed insulation somewhere. Alternatively remove wires one by one from it to see if you can eliminate the issue?