Weber fuel pressure?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
arewethereyet

Weber fuel pressure?

#1 Post by arewethereyet » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:42 am

I've fitted a 40 dfav to my rover v8 and seem to be unable to get it to idle without eye watering lumpy running. I tried an 38 dgas I've got as well and that did exactly the same. I think my Facet silver top may be rated too high and over fuelling it. My SU's ran fine on it with a return line that is absent on the Weber, so would a tee from the feed sort it as I want to verify it runs okay before splashing out on a regulator. I'm gonna try gravity feeding it today to see if that helps?

Cheers,
Mark

Flatlander

Re: Weber fuel pressure?

#2 Post by Flatlander » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:02 pm

The chances are it is the pump that is causing the problem. In my experience, Webers dont like too much fuel pressure. About 3.5 - 4 psi max. If I remember correctly, the Silver Top is higher than that. 5 psi perhaps? Weber do make a specific pump for their carbs. Its a HVLP unit, whereas the Facet is classed as an LVHP part. Webers hate pressure, love volume.

My advice would be to get the correct Weber pump, and throw the Facet in the bin, especially if it is one of the newer "Made in China" ones. No need for a regulator.

Hope this helps.

arewethereyet

Re: Weber fuel pressure?

#3 Post by arewethereyet » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Well, it turns out the Weber has a couple of issues with distortion in a couple of places do it won't seal. Looks like the SU's are going back on.
Anyone found a reliable 4 barrel that's not gonna break the bank, as I can get the cut down manifold modified as my brother in law can TIG to a very good standard?