Material for door card re-manufacture

Post your technical queries / problems here!
suffolkpete

Re: Material for door card re-manufacture

#21 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:09 pm

rich. wrote:
History wrote: I do question Leather walnut and Wilton in cars due to damp. Especially Wilton carpet.

Bob
i get that problem with my transit all the time :lol:
You have Wilton in your transit? The building trade in France must be looking up! :)
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

History

#22 Post by History » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:39 pm

Fortunately my cars don't leak and are garaged when not in use. But regardless of the precautions when used in wet weather damp will get in the car. I use the AC to dry the car. Also my carpets are 100% polypropylene that is like Wilton to look and touch. The Jeep has carpets that are held down by centre consul and seats. So carpet removal for proper cleaning is difficult. The Rolls-Royce has the faux Wilton which are fitted around the seats etc and held in place with poppers. Carpet removal is easy for cleaning. The faux Wilton doesn't rot and is water proof. When servicing the car is takes only seconds to remove the drivers bit for safety. Plus should the drivers bit suffer wear just that bit can be replaced.

Rubber "carpets" such as fitted to commercials can look very nice and practical. I remember the base models of some saloons being so fitted. Rubber carpet is perceived as basic by the motorist and proper carpet more luxurious.

Strange how we buy wee rubber mats to cover the carpet.

The first cars had aluminium tread plates in the drivers footwell. Even more practical than rubber. I notice that car modifiers are doing the same. Nothing's ever quite new.

Incidentally carpets that have faded can be dyed using Dylon. I did a Rover P4. They had gone from red to pink. The Dylon turned them a rich deep red. They looked smashing.

Bob

rich.

#23 Post by rich. » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:46 pm

pics of your dying carpets please bob!

Flatlander

#24 Post by Flatlander » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:45 pm

JPB wrote:
I have some tips for avoiding damp Wilton in cars:
Make sure that the windows are closed when it's raining.
Check that the sunshine roof is also closed in similarly moist conditions.
Check that your neighbours' kids aren't using your car as a toilet.

QED, job done, Alka Seltzer. :|
Also, dont pretend to be Keith Moon and drive your car into a swimming pool! :lol:

rich.

#25 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:35 pm

bob is keith moon? can i have your autograph?? :D

JPB

#26 Post by JPB » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:56 pm

If Bob is Keith Moon, then Bob is dead, so either we have a real live ( :? ) ghost among us or Keith Moon is still alive!
I put it to you that Bob isn't Keith Moon so is, therefore, still about as alive as any of us.

On hardboard, seeing as that was mentioned at the top, I went to Wickes today as 1) everything there is cheaper than it is at Blockies' and 2) they keep hardboard, right? Well no, not at the nearest Wickes branch, a mere 25 miles away, so I had to drive home via a smaller B&Q branch and they didn't keep the stuff either in spite of the link suggesting that they would (larger branches only, Sir..) so I ended up at a Euronics Centre, where I bought a new pair of PP9s for the bedroom radio and still managed to come home without the milk that I'd gone to fetch.
And I forgot why we needed 3 square yards of hardboard in the first place. Another partial success then. :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#27 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:28 pm

bob have you ever faked your own death?

when im working in blighty i use this place,
http://www.haleco.co.uk/
they usually carry quite a good range of stock.. might be a bit far for you john, unless you fancy a trip out :D

History

#28 Post by History » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:33 pm

I will leave the driving of Shadows into swimming pools to Jezza.

A few years back a guy drove a Shadow off the ferry slipway into Poole harbour. He survived but the car didn't.

Shadows 1 are getting rare. They made 8000 RHD cars. 1/2 exported the RHD countries. Out of 4000 cars sold in the UK it's reckoned that there's only 100 left in the UK. One source quoted 47 cars.

Keith Moon is dead. I am very much alive.

For some stupid reason Rolls-Royce in its infinite wisdom fitted Wilton that is not pre shrunk. The carpets get damp and shrink leaving a gap.

I live 200 ft above sea level and 100 feet above the nearest river. All the roads to where I live go up hill. Which is just as well because it has rained every day for the last five days. I have cleaned out the grids to the drains to keep the water flowing well.

Bob

rich.

#29 Post by rich. » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:40 am

History wrote: Keith Moon is dead. I am very much alive.
Bob
your secret is safe with us keith... sorry i mean bob :D