Material for door card re-manufacture

Post your technical queries / problems here!
tractorman

Re: Material for door card re-manufacture

#11 Post by tractorman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:09 am

I must admit, I'd use foamex if I was doing the job. We used lots of it when I worked in the last school and, if kids can produce neat work with it, most of us can too! It's much easier to cut than wood - score one side with a craft knife and bend it, preferably over a straight edge (I used the saw bench), until the piece snaps off (like HIPS); you can drill/saw holes without problems if the drill is slow enough and you can bend it easily if you use a strip heater. It's not unlike the stuff in the Golf's door panels.

It's much better than wood or man-made boards as it isn't affected by moisture and tends to stay flat unless it gets quite hot!

Classic Microcars

#12 Post by Classic Microcars » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:03 pm

History wrote:It is in the realms of diy to make door cards that are as good as what MB fitted if not better.

Use 3 mm thick marine ply.

Cut to shape with holes for clips and furniture.
But why go to all that trouble to end up with a product that is not as good, nor as straightforward to produce as a Foamex door card?

pryantcc

#13 Post by pryantcc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks for all the responses folks. I have sourced some foamex samples, it sounds like great stuff!
I'd be covering it in a foam backed vinyl. Is glue the best way to attach the two, or staples, or what?

Paul.

rich.

#14 Post by rich. » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:00 pm

if you use staples just try & get them the right length.. can you take pics of the process & finished article?

Flatlander

#15 Post by Flatlander » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:52 pm

Foamex sounds ok.

What kind of adhesive would be used with it if the card was covered with leather, vinyl, or even wood?

History

#16 Post by History » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:51 pm

Foamex it is then. Next time a door card comes up for remanufacture I shall give it a go. New ideas and all that.

I do question Leather walnut and Wilton in cars due to damp. Especially Wilton carpet.

Bob

Classic Microcars

#17 Post by Classic Microcars » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:46 am

pryantcc wrote:Thanks for all the responses folks. I have sourced some foamex samples, it sounds like great stuff!
I'd be covering it in a foam backed vinyl. Is glue the best way to attach the two, or staples, or what?

Paul.
Contact adhesive (high temperature) and staples, but beware of the length. 4mm should do the job.

rich.

#18 Post by rich. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:50 pm

History wrote: I do question Leather walnut and Wilton in cars due to damp. Especially Wilton carpet.

Bob
i get that problem with my transit all the time :lol:

JPB

#19 Post by JPB » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:07 pm

rich. wrote:
History wrote: I do question Leather walnut and Wilton in cars due to damp. Especially Wilton carpet.
i get that problem with my transit all the time :lol:
Solution for Bob: Don't buy cars with rising damp and you too could enjoy dry carpets. :P

I have some tips for avoiding damp Wilton in cars:
Make sure that the windows are closed when it's raining.
Check that the sunshine roof is also closed in similarly moist conditions.
Check that your neighbours' kids aren't using your car as a toilet.

QED, job done, Alka Seltzer. :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#20 Post by rich. » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:42 pm

Bob
just a quick thought, have you been parking anwhere near leeds, york, or carlisle?