PAS solution for ADO17 with alternator?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
JPB

Re: PAS solution for ADO17 with alternator?

#11 Post by JPB » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:24 am

Yes, the Toyota fittings are indeed metric, however there's a place in Newburn, just fifty or so miles down the road by Newcastle, that makes up bespoke hoses and their stuff is no more costly than buying stock parts in many cases.
Hoses for Scimitars of a certain age may also help, as they have imperial threads at one end and metric at the other to connect the German Ford (steering pump) and the very British Triumph (rack) parts of the car together. Such mixing of standards is more common than people might assume, though Reliant's name usually crops up in that context before too long. TVR too, though I don't know of the whereabouts of hundreds of scrapped TVRs that can be raided for useful parts but do have access to a fair few Reliant products that are beyond restoration and have many parts still to yield.
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

History

#12 Post by History » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Is there enough room to bolt a pulley to the exsisting crank pulley to drive the pump by a separate belt thus giving a good arc of contact.

I have vague recollections of slipping drive belts and over tightened belts and bearing failures on the Wedges.

Is there a 2 groove pulley available.

I liked both the landcrab and the Wedge I thought they drove quite nice.

Bob.

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:02 pm

Not sure whether there's room between the radiator and the passenger end of the block for a double pulley, fitting a 2200-style, front mounted radiator isn't an option either so that probably won't happen but if there is space between the engine pulleys and the radiator to double up, I wouldn't! By that, I mean that I'd sooner go for the greater reliability of a single flat belt, that way, the surface area is still usefully increased but there's no attached risk of one V belt from a pair becoming slacker than its mate.

Extra points for anyone who can tell us which later engine from the Rover group takes exactly the same crank pulley as a B? :D
The Toyota pump comes with a flat pulley so that would fit in, and a Seal (or was it Craig David?) :oops: EWP would get us neatly round the problem of how to fit a more modern pulley to the water pump as then no pulley would be needed, though this would mean that our old woman would end up spending even more on the parts that we haven't been able to scrape together for free.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

suffolkpete

#14 Post by suffolkpete » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:14 pm

This thread seems to have wandered off topic and was starting to develop into an argument, so all Reliant three-wheeler related references have been deleted.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

History

#15 Post by History » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:14 pm

I meant one belt to drive PAS pump and the other belt to drive alternator and water pump.

Remember that the crank pulley is also a harmonic crankshaft damper on some cars. I cant remember if the land crab was so fitted.

Bob.

rich.

#16 Post by rich. » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:27 am

JPB wrote:Yes, the Toyota fittings are indeed metric, however there's a place in Newburn, just fifty or so miles down the road by Newcastle, that makes up bespoke hoses and their stuff is no more costly than buying stock parts in many cases.

;)
have you a local agricultural or plant(jcb) supplier nearby they can make hoses up for you too :D

JPB

I helped to clean something!

#17 Post by JPB » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:52 am

Rich, I'm right amongst the agriculture here so we have a great selection of such suppliers. Just down the road there's also a big
Old Stanners Signs branch and they even sell to total strangers over the counter, such is the general willingness among local
Classic car folk to help keep a vulnerable, older woman mobile.
We had a quick meet at the 1800's (warm, carpeted! 8-) ) garage last night and contented ourselves with doing some odd jobs to make
absolutely sure that the car will be a pleasant place for the elderly driver to sit as she travels to the corner shop at 12mph with a
nice, long queue of impatient tractor drivers following her, this involved the use of equipment such as something that was made by
kirby, not a brand of tools I'm familiar with, but it was shiny and made all the right noises. This strange contraption seemed to turn the
extremely sound, but slightly scruffy carpet into a much better looking piece of kit, which was found to be covering an apparently
rust-free floor pan and perhaps even better, given the ongoing failure to assemble a bunch of working charging system and of course,
steering pump-related parts just yet, we left our tame pensioner smiling and still clutching the wad of cash that we don't want from her.

Meanwhile, I'm off to interrogate the place I mentioned earlier about hoses. I'll be wearing a cardboard mask with Tim Shaw's face on
it, just in case that will make our spend lower when the time comes to turn our treasurer upside down and shake her to see how many
pennies we can throw at the 1800 before we have to start accepting the dear lady's efforts to give us money.
J

tractorman

#18 Post by tractorman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:35 pm

An old lady with class and taste at a guess: Kirby were THE vacuum people, the stuff built like the proverbial brick outhouse and used in "industrial" places: hotels etc.

http://www.elikirbyclub.co.uk/?gclid=CJ ... Gwod9L0PGw

I'm not saying that I have a vacuum fetish, but I have just bought two "Henrys"! However, they were from Maplins and will be used as Christmas "novelty" presents!

Had you needed a double vee alternator pulley, the one that was on my Land Rover might be suitable, though it was on a Magneto Marello alternator, which may or may not be suitable for your needs (bore size etc!). IIRC, I had to buy a new pulley and fan for the 18ACR that I was going to use, so that suggests the double pulley won't fit those.

History

#19 Post by History » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:39 pm

The shaft size of ACR alternators is 15mm. I once machined up a double for a camper van. The second vee drove another alternator which charged the auxiliary battery. It worked well.

The problem with driving the pas pump off the alternator is that the belt that drives that alternator is also driving the pump and may start slipping. But this method is still better than driving water pump, alternator and pas pump because the arc of contact is better. If a double vee crank pulley can't be done then the twin vee alternator pulley is second best.
But are the alternator bearings robust enough to manage the extra side ways load imposed by the pas belt. Also the outside belt will have extra leverage due to distance from the alternator front bearing.

Bob.

JPB

#20 Post by JPB » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Probably going for the Turnip solution with poly v pulleys fitted to everything, water pump included since they're removable without too much trouble. Reason: Because poly v pulleys are available for every combination of the parts we have at our disposal. To us, this seems logical, we'll see how we get on at the weekend.
J