Compressor head gaskets

Post your technical queries / problems here!
Young Farmer

Compressor head gaskets

#1 Post by Young Farmer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:28 am

Just been told by Machine Mart that new head gaskets for my Airmaster Tiger 15/55 compressor are no longer available. Any body know where I could get them from. Head bolts had worked loose but too late to retighten them and save the gasket.

JPB

Re: Compressor head gaskets

#2 Post by JPB » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:06 am

You could make one from copper, a simple application like this doesn't need anything more complex. The original is probably gasket paper sealed with shellac but this isn't as durable. I've made HGs for many small engines and for my 1950s (Randell) compressor, which is still running on a brass HG that I made in 1985, in that case I had brass sheet in the box and no copper so made a "temporary" fix from what was available..
:)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#3 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:59 am

As above, that's what I did on mine when I had the same problem. Or buy a sheet of thin strong gasket material - I used a thin wipe of gasket sealer too just to give it some help, and never had any problems since.

Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

History

#4 Post by History » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:47 pm

I had a Velocette LE noddy bike. I ran it without head gaskets. It ran fine.

The compressor could also be run without head gasket using silicon sealer depends on clearance between head and piston. If not a simple cardboard gasket will be fine.

Bob