Red rotor arms

Post your technical queries / problems here!
TerryG

Red rotor arms

#1 Post by TerryG » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Are they any better? other than having no rivit to hold it together and being a different colour is there any actual difference?
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Pilkie

Re: Red rotor arms

#2 Post by Pilkie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:02 am

Apparently having no rivet to work loose is key to their difference.
If the ones you are on about are the genuine ones from martin the distributor doctor they are well worth using.
I fitted a nos black lucas one only to find its rivet was loose and it caused a misfire under load.
My current fleet!
1971 S2 Rover P6V8 auto,PAS,leather,webasto,14" rostyles,in White/huntsman.
My daily driver since 1999.
1970 Triumph TR6pi,original UK car in Damson.
1968 S1 Rover P6V8 auto,2 owner/43k miles,Arden with sandalwood leather.

stagman

#3 Post by stagman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:32 am

I think they are red as the carbon they put in to make them black could help with arcing problems if they over do it or so I was told. Also there were problems with the rivets being too long and doing the same - cannot for the life of me remember who told me this - probably the guy selling the red ones ! :lol: However I would go for them there have been some lousy black ones for a while

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#4 Post by mr rusty » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:00 am

I don't think the red has any particular signifigance, because it would be just as easy to make a bad red one as it is to make a bad black one like the bad black ones that currently come in a lucas box.

Distributor doctor's red ones are good but they're no different to his black ones, because they're made like Lucas used to make them up to about 20 years ago. For a long time there were no good rotor arms available and I was using old discarded spare ones salvaged from my shed because they were better than new ones- my Vitesse ran for ages with a modified genuine 70's Marina arm and the timing altered to suit because it was the last decent rotor arm I had :lol:

Distributor doctors ones don't have the rivet, just like proper old Lucas ones, and they don't break either like the new Lucas ones do.
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

TerryG

#5 Post by TerryG » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:14 am

Pilkie wrote: I fitted a nos black lucas one only to find its rivet was loose and it caused a misfire under load.
This is the problem I have although after bunging a halfords cheapo rotor arm on the problem went away. The metal on it is about 2.5x thicker than the "lucas" arm.
I saw them advertised in PC but google reveals LOTS of different suppliers for them. I'll give the distributor doctor a ring and see if they do them for a rover v8.
Cheers :D
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

gosnell1005

#6 Post by gosnell1005 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:12 pm

the only thing I can add is that I spent a lot of money with garages trying to resolve a missfire problem and as soon as i fitted the red rota arm all issues were sorted

Regards john

TriumphDriver

#7 Post by TriumphDriver » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:32 pm

The red ones sold on eBay by simonbbc are excellent.
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

SirTainleyBarking

#8 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:25 pm

A bit of tinfoil and a bottle cap has to be better than the Lucas Black rubbish. If I'm forced to use them, I'll keep 2 spares in the Landrover.
That was bourne out of the ignition dying on the M6 passing the ramp where chorley services empties onto the inside Lane. Having to coast across that to the hard shoulder during rush hour wasn't pleasant, and I'd like to share that with the Lousy Brummie Beancounter who thought that they were being smart.
(The Dizzy arm literally fell apart) - others have just gone into dead short mode with the same effect
I'll even give them a lift.

Attached to the Drop Hitch
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

mistertoad

#9 Post by mistertoad » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:22 am

I think Stagman has a good point, carbon black is a good conductor and will easily short out if there is too much in the resin mix.
Phenolic resin is intrinsically red in colour so it would seem that the red rotors have a higher resin content and probably use iron oxide as a filler so would be more resistant to charring.as well as being stronger.