Austin 10 clutch

Post your technical queries / problems here!
johnboy

Austin 10 clutch

#1 Post by johnboy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi everyone first post here so bare with me. My vehicle is Austin 10 lichfield 1937 and it seems to have a very sharp clutch cam anyone tell me if this is correct and the norm thankyou in advance

johnboy

Re: Austin 10 clutch

#2 Post by johnboy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:25 pm

Is anybody feeling like replying tonight would really appreciate

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Assuming that the clutch fitted to the car is the type whose cover has individual coil springs, rather than the much smoother and more modern diaphragm spring type then I'd expect it to be significantly less progressive than the clutch in a modern car, especially as its engagement mechanism is so direct.
That said, if you're toiling to pull away progressively, it could be that the wear to the cover springs is unequal, which would make the action even less forgiving. Also check that the engine - if this one has mounts rather than being bolted solidly to the chassis - is secure and that these mounts aren't perished or broken.
Also; it all depends upon how long you've been driving the car and whether this is a new habit that it's developed or something normal for the car. Coil spring clutches tend to be far less progressive than diaphragm ones in any case and if it's unmanageable, there may well be a more modern clutch that would fit and work in the Austin. For example: The Austin 7-derived side valve and the later, OHV Bean engines - as found in Reliants - would all have come with a 6 1/4" coil spring clutch, these tend to slip under load when they're hot, they tend to be either "on" or "off" with little or no progression and most have now been replaced by Laycock clutches of the type specified as an upgrade for the Imp or, more recently, by a Ford-derived diaphragm clutch from a modern car which has a receiver plate for the thrust pad attached to the tips of its fingers or a concentric release bearing fitted using a bespoke sleeve to keep it aligned.

It may just be a case of "they all do that, Sir!" But if it feels wrong, then chances are there's room for improvement as mentioned above.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Fatbloke

#4 Post by Fatbloke » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:41 pm

Without casting any aspertions on John's expertise, he's helped me out many a time and is a very top chap, but the chaps over on the "Old Classic Car forum" may be better placed to help. A lot of them run pre war cars and will be able to tell you exactly what you have in your car and how it should feel. They once identified a car my Granddad was proping up just from the bit of the front grill that could be seen in the photo...in 3 minutes!!!

They can be a bit pedantic about originality though. nothing wrong with that of course.

I frequent both sites as I own a 70 Herald and hanker after a 1930's Hilman Minx! :)

Here's the link.
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/ph ... um.php?f=1
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Good call, Mike, however I suspect that the O/P might have given up on Practically as a source of inspiration since he hasn't been back since the Saturday after I posted. :( I guess he was in need of a more urgent response or maybe he's got it fixed now?
As for originality; there isn't a single vehicle that I can think of where an original spec, coil spring clutch is better than the diaphragm alternative. Taking my autotest kittens as examples, I could render a coil spring clutch scrap in the space of one event back in the day, yet the Laycock equivalent, with diaphragm cover and enclosed damping springs in the driven plate, would cover pretty much the same length of service as the engine to whose flywheel it was attached and I never had one fail, even during the steeper bits involving wet grass - and much clutch abuse - such as Chirnside and the old field at Doune.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Fatbloke

#6 Post by Fatbloke » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:57 pm

Oh yeah... i didn't notice the dates. :oops:

I wouldn't dream of arguing with you John. Mainly because I haven't a clue what you are talking about and I thought there was only the diaphragm type clutch!! never heard of any other type before now ;)

I was merely warning that they can be sticklers over there. They were recently arguing over the fonts on black and white number plates! :shock:

Thanks for all your help.
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:30 pm

Fatbloke wrote:They were recently arguing over the fonts on black and white number plates..
That I can understand totally, because the plates are one of a vehicle's most visible features and there are few things worse than a pre-suffix issue displayed in the smaller font used from the introduction of the year letter. Apart from the use of the current - for new vehicles - font size being used on non-reflective plates, that would have my teeth on edge almost as much as non-reflective plates on cars from around the late eighties. Grrr!
;)
J

Fatbloke

#8 Post by Fatbloke » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:53 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:29 pm

:lol:
J