Stainless exhausts, best current suppliers?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
JPB

Stainless exhausts, best current suppliers?

#1 Post by JPB » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:38 am

Your recommendations sought, boys & girls, but please no web links as I've trawled through several pages of these and am none the wiser for it :? so, if you've bought recently and are satisfied with the fit, finish and service (delivered and/or fitted); that's the sort of feedback I'm after.

TIA,

John

Fatbloke

Re: Stainless exhausts, best current suppliers?

#2 Post by Fatbloke » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:03 pm

I used Bells silencers in Swindon for the SS exhaust on my Herald. It was about 10 years ago but they are still there and I used them for SHMBO's modern.

They used to supply TSSC with all their SS exhausts. maybe they still do.

Anyway as local to me I got them to fit it too. I was very happy with them. Don't know if the do other makes but probably worth a call.
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

TerryG

#3 Post by TerryG » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:15 pm

I can say NOT to buy a falcon SS exhaust. Mine came from rimmers and although not holed, it is pretty rusty.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks guys, don't worry, Terry, I wouldn't touch the Falcon brand with someone else's bargepole. I sent back a few of their amazingly dreadful systems when I was running the Dolomite as a daily driver and rapidly came to the conclusion that a good BMS system from the likes of Bosal or Walker tends to last longer than a so-called "stainless" system from that shower of utter ****s. :evil:

The systems that Rimmers supplied had really thin BMS end plates and interiors to its boxes so the only parts that didn't start to rot immediately were the pipes, which is what I'd get from a Bosal system at a shade over £180 with three year warranty or an OEM system at £270 with five year warranty from a local dealership that's been involved with Toyotas since 1968. I'm still slightly tempted to go down that route for the "modern" but the other systems I'll be buying in the next few Months are for older cars whose manufacturers are either no longer with us or otherwise unable/unwilling to continue supplying every single component for their older models.

Mike, Bells don't have a pattern for my daily motor so would need me to drive down there for a bespoke fitting, which is tempting as I could ask them to incorporate a couple of improvements over the stock arrangement - such as a larger tailpipe in case I ever find that necessary - and would get to see Swindon for the first time since I was there sorting out the local Subaru premises in the late nineteen oatcakes. Mmm, Swindon..
:drool: :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

History

#5 Post by History » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:26 pm

Easiest way is to find a local place and have them make one for you.

Best is 16 swg wall.

I am in Bournemouth and we have several places that do bespoke systems for about the same as ready made. I saw a system fitted to a Mustang which looked very nice. Locally made.

I would also look at mild steel exhausts because some are very cheap and good quality. Depends so much on personal circumstances and what you want the car to be and how long one intends to keep the car for.

I have seen mild steel last 15 years there again I have known quick fit exhausts last only 2 years.

SS exhausts don't add much value to a car, however it can make the car easier to sell. I am like most people if a car had a good exhaust system fitted then mild steel is OK and 5 years down the road I know I maybe fitting another exhaust. But thats 5 years away so who cares. A SS exhaust is a bonus but there's a lot of other stuff on a car.
Difficult to explain.

Regards
Bob.

sierra3dr

#6 Post by sierra3dr » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:04 am

Make sure you get a decent grade

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:09 am

History wrote:Best is 16 swg wall.
Maybe so, but 18 swg is sufficient and won't be so sore on the rubbers. ;)
sierra3dr wrote:Make sure you get a decent grade
Not buying Falcon branded stuff should take care of this point. 8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#8 Post by TerryG » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:24 pm

JPB wrote: Not buying Falcon branded stuff should take care of this point. 8-)
Their stuff looks good when it's new. If you never drive the car anywhere and keep it in a heated garage out of the wet it is just fine.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

History

#9 Post by History » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:53 pm

16 swg is 64 thou and 18 swg is 48 thou. So weight wise about half as much again. But the mufflers wont be 16 swg. So the weight difference is not a lot and better rubber mounts could be used. Exhaust rubber mountings are consumable service items.

My car does not have rubber mounts it uses springs with stainless wire wool inside the spring for damping. These last for ever. Its a over the top mad design. I sort of like stuff like this.

I saw a stainless muffler and the case was very thin and could be flexed with finger pressure. Looked nice but really rubbish. Also mandrel bent tubes are much better than ctush bent tubes because mandrel bent tubes maintain the bore size and keep the pipe round. Crush bent tubes tend to be oval in bend area which restricts flow. The size of the pipe is important but not critical. Too big and the flow of gases is slow and the vacuum behind the pulse will be weak and can't pull on the cylinder on exhaust stroke. Too small and the flow is restricted and back pressure occurs which is bad news because the piston is driving the gases out of the cylinder which costs power.

Bob.