Classic car engine number change

Post your technical queries / problems here!
wil

Classic car engine number change

#1 Post by wil » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:16 pm

Hello, I want to change the engine of my classic car with a spare engine I have overhauled. The engine is exactly the same cubic capacity as the old one and has been under my bench for several years having been removed from a car I bought for spares a long time ago.
I have no recipt of purchase etc.
Will I have to provide any documentation of proof of purchase of the replacement engine when I register an engine number change with the dvla as it does with with modern cars??
Thanks

tractorman

Re: Classic car engine number change

#2 Post by tractorman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:32 am

I suspect they won't bother too much if it's an older classic, I was able to change the engine details for my '71/2 Land Rover without question (it was registered as petrol with a Land Rover engine number and was fitted with a Perkins diesel engine). I'd just try it and see what they say, I'm sure they see such things quite often and the sensible member of staff won't worry too much. Unfortunately, I gather there is only one sensible member of staff. I have another idea - but suspect that it is "iffy" and can't recommend it on an open forum ;)

TerryG

#3 Post by TerryG » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:47 am

I'm not sure if the rules have changed recently or not but when i swapped the engine in my RR i just filled in the V5 and posted it off (its a 1994). 2 weeks later it was back with a new engine number.
I also know lots of people that just don't bother. It would be more difficult getting your car back if it was found to be stolen but hopefully that is never an issue.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

harvey

#4 Post by harvey » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:39 pm

AFAIK if the car is taxed as "Historic" (ie tax free) then there's no need to provide any proof of purchase. Just fit it and notify the change.
Currently over 35 years worth of fixing 35 boxes.
Hoping to reach 65 years worth of fixing 65 boxes.

wil

#5 Post by wil » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks very much for your replies. My car is a 1955 Morris so I will post the log book with new engine number and take it from there. :thumbs:

tractorman

#6 Post by tractorman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:32 am

Oooo - photos please, I had a MO Oxford as a first (unroadworthy) car and we had a 55 Minor Traveller all too long ago!

I'm fairly certain there won't be any problem with the "change" - so long as you get the right person at DVLA! It's one of those cases where the local office was much better - you could talk to them and get sensible answers, not ones from a script!