Rubber boot sensor cover thingy jobbie

Post your technical queries / problems here!
eddypeck

Rubber boot sensor cover thingy jobbie

#1 Post by eddypeck » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:49 pm

This is on my 1986 Mk2 Golf GTI k-jet 8v.

On the top of my head is this sensor

From this description in Haynes I gather it's the fan run on sensor so not desperately important.
Temperature sensor
From March 1986, a temperature sensor is
located between injectors 1 and 2. After
switching off the ignition, this switches on the
cooling fan when the temperature of the
cylinder head exceeds 110°C. A time relay is
incorporated in the circuit. This switches off
the function between ten and twelve minutes
after switching off the ignition.
I thought it would be nice to fit one of those rubber boots over it, that some of the exposed spades like this sometimes have...
but I've no idea how to refer to those rubbery bits to even start searching. Anyone got any ideas? Or even know what I'm talking about :lol:
1986 VW Golf GTi, 1988 VW Golf GTi, 1993 BMW e30 318i Touring Lux

Minxy

Re: Rubber boot sensor cover thingy jobbie

#2 Post by Minxy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:04 pm

Spade terminal insulator.....although being an earth wire it would unlikely have had one fitted. As well as that you are likely going to have to buy ten and they generally slide up the cable before the terminal is crimped on.
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.

tractorman

#3 Post by tractorman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Perhaps OP is thinking of the ones that looked a bit like a finger from a rubber glove that went over the oil pressure switch on some Golfs (and DB tractors in the 70s)? Not that I know where to get such things - unless you cut a finger from a black rubber glove! The DB ones didn't have a hole for the lead like the VW ones had:

I saw this on eBay, which suggests that a Triumph place may sell them (the one in the listing is a tad pricey by the time p&p are included!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OIL-PRESSURE- ... 25864027c8

History

#4 Post by History » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:31 pm

I also need a rubber boot thingy on my cars coolant level probe. Surprisingly differcult to find.

Heat shrink the female spade or cut the spade off and fit cover and solder new female spade on.

These boots make the engine compartment look better and proper.

For spade terminals - odd pack from most car shops.

Bob

eddypeck

#5 Post by eddypeck » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:05 am

tractorman wrote:Perhaps OP is thinking of the ones that looked a bit like a finger from a rubber glove that went over the oil pressure switch on some Golfs (and DB tractors in the 70s)? Not that I know where to get such things - unless you cut a finger from a black rubber glove! The DB ones didn't have a hole for the lead like the VW ones had:

I saw this on eBay, which suggests that a Triumph place may sell them (the one in the listing is a tad pricey by the time p&p are included!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OIL-PRESSURE- ... 25864027c8

That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. A boot to cover the whole top of the sender, not just the spade.

And because of your post I was able to track down one for less than a fiver....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/71-2930-BSA-T ... 35e03f6038

But I think I might just take a walk round the scrap yard first and see what I can come up with.
1986 VW Golf GTi, 1988 VW Golf GTi, 1993 BMW e30 318i Touring Lux