Ukranian charging circuit diagram help please!

Post your technical queries / problems here!
pryantcc

Ukranian charging circuit diagram help please!

#1 Post by pryantcc » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:42 am

Any auto electrical wizards out there?

The circuit diagram shows the alternator and 3 little boxes labelled 1, 2 & 3 for the purposes of this post. I can cope with 3 myself, it is simply a starter relay between the ignition key and the starter solenoid. However, after that, I get a bit stuck.
Questions:
Is the "alternator" an alternator and not a dynamo?
Any idea why the third alternator phase doesn't go through the internal diodes and is instead routed to the rectifier circuit in box number 1?
There are 2 coils in the relay part of box 1. one energised by the ignition, the other comes from the diodes.
Do they both need to be activated to operate the relay, or only 1 of the two?
Any idea what the function of this box number 1 is?
What's the little square wave component symbol in boxes 1 & 2?
Is one of these boxes a regulator?

Can anyone explain in stages how it's supposed to work? Something like: Turn on ignition, 1 closes, 2 is open. Engine is started, 1 and 2 are closed while charging, when batter charged, 1 opens, etc.??

I almost forgot to explain my problem! I don't think it's charging right. Alternator light stays on. When running, I do see a small increase in voltage, but I only read 12.9V on my volt meter. If I turn on some accessories, it's back down to about 12V.

Thanks,
Paul.

History

Re: Ukranian charging circuit diagram help please!

#2 Post by History » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:01 am

The machine with the arrow pointing to it has rectifier diodes. Meaning its definitely an alternator.

I can see no connection to the rotor field coil.

Also green number one has a full wave rectifier.

Bob

pryantcc

#3 Post by pryantcc » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks Bob,
I've since found out that 2 is the voltage regulator.
As far as I can tell, the rectifier circuit in 1 is only used to engerise that electromagnetic coil which, when energised would cut the feed to the starter relay (3). I wonder if it just stops you from cranking the starter when the alternator is charging (I.E. Engine running)?!

Laird_Scooby

#4 Post by Laird_Scooby » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:49 pm

History wrote:The machine with the arrow pointing to it has rectifier diodes. Meaning its definitely an alternator.

I can see no connection to the rotor field coil.

Also green number one has a full wave rectifier.

Bob

There is a connection but it's in very faint ink and goes to 2 aka the voltage regulator. I believe that item 1 is in fact a current regulator but in all honesty it's so long since i saw one of these set ups that i can't remember how they all inter-relate and function.

If you're able to access the contacts shown in items 1 and 2, try cleaning them by sliding an emery board (the sandpaper covered lolly stick your missus uses for shaping her claws) in between. Often these circuits rely on certain currents flowing via these contacts to energise the field coil and hence start the alternator charging. As such if the contacts are dirty, it won't charge.
If you can't steal an emery board from the wife, get some emery cloth or some medium-fine wet n' dry and fold it over to make a double sided piece then slide that in and out of the contacts.

Hopefully it's something as simple as that, if not then it might be easier to "update" the alternator for a slightly more modern one with a built in voltage regulator so all you'd need would be the field connection via the charge warning light and obviously the main battery feed.

Good luck with it!
Cheers
Dave

deconstruction

#5 Post by deconstruction » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:44 am

What's it for?

Flatlander

#6 Post by Flatlander » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:58 pm

I dont know if anyone else has realised, but there is a odd thing about that wiring diagram. The text is not in cryllic script...

I'm under the impression that the diagram is for a 66-on Zaz 968. If that is correct, by pure chance I know the town it was made in well, and have friends there. Therefore a possible (no promises) supply of parts... :)

pryantcc

#7 Post by pryantcc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:00 am

Flatlander wrote:I dont know if anyone else has realised, but there is a odd thing about that wiring diagram. The text is not in cryllic script...

I'm under the impression that the diagram is for a 66-on Zaz 968. If that is correct, by pure chance I know the town it was made in well, and have friends there. Therefore a possible (no promises) supply of parts... :)
Hi,
It is indeed from a 968A! The diagram is from a Hungarian manual, hence the text. I don't have a need for parts just now, but will certainly keep you in mind for future requirements if you don't mind?

I ended up replacing the regulator which sorted things out for me.

Regards,
Paul.

Flatlander

#8 Post by Flatlander » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:16 am

pryantcc wrote:
Hi,
It is indeed from a 968A! The diagram is from a Hungarian manual, hence the text. I don't have a need for parts just now, but will certainly keep you in mind for future requirements if you don't mind?

Regards,
Paul.
No problem, I've already mentioned this to one of my friends in Zaporizhzhya. That the place the russian versions were made. I hope they are the same as your hungarian model.