Hillman Super Minx Front cross-member / Sub frame assembly

Post your technical queries / problems here!
Mark75

Hillman Super Minx Front cross-member / Sub frame assembly

#1 Post by Mark75 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi Guys
I know that 99% of the MkI & MkII sceptre/vogue is just Super minx & vice versa. But does anyone know for sure if the front sub assembly is a straight swap ? It looks the same but I know that no guarantee.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUMBER-SCEPTR ... 56794505d4

Thanks
Mark

History

Re: Hillman Super Minx Front cross-member / Sub frame assemb

#2 Post by History » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:31 pm

Is the part number the same.

Bob

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:52 pm

:? Link is dead, but from the Rootes parts list used by Grimes before they sold their remaining stock to Speedy Spares the track width is narrower on the earlier cars (with the curved rear window and bubble roof) than on the later cars which had the flatter roof and the flatter front and rear screens, so given that the Sceptre version of the larger Audax cars stuck with the bubble roof and curved rear screen throughout, you'll need to measure the width of the potential donor part before you commit, since there's not such an easily detected difference between Humbers as between the remaining models using that shell.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Mark75

#4 Post by Mark75 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks for that guys. Do you know if the difference in the track was in the beam or the wishbones ? Also you mentioned that the "front" window is flatter on the 6 light mk3 than the 1 & 2 ? I am looking for a new windshield is this something I need to be wary of ? I just presumed they were all the same.

Updated link : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUMBER-SCEPTR ... 56794505d4

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:24 pm

No, they're not all the same. The Sceptre's roofline was bubble shaped throughout but other large Audaces came with flatter roofs from whenever the additional quarter panes were added in the D posts.
The front screen in the Sceptre extended further back into the edge of the roof than those of the Superminx and Vogue, by which I mean the Singer Vogue and not the export Humber.
You'd need to measure the width of the crossmember, I'm informed that they're different, but whether the wishbones are longer on the cars with the shorter crossmember is something I can't say.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: