Austin A30 Sill / Inner and Floor construction

Post your technical queries / problems here!
arceye

Austin A30 Sill / Inner and Floor construction

#1 Post by arceye » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Hi Chaps, Think this is fairly obvious but thought I'd check to be sure in case.

Looking at some work on an Austin A30 that may well appear on the projects page soon :)

Currently the floor / inner sills (mainly just patches of metal over rust :roll: ), and homemade outer sill are put together as below,

I'm thinking they need reconstructing to be more like the drawing below but haven't anything to compare too as they have done both sides the same.

Just confused that someone went to the trouble of forming the steel in the way of way of the first picture if it should be how I imagine...

JPB

Re: Austin A30 Sill / Inner and Floor construction

#2 Post by JPB » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:20 pm

You're right to think that the inner sill is supposed to be a flat piece of steel, but I've seen these with a box section attached to the inner sill and soffit section, roughly half the inner sill's depth, half the width of the soffit section (of the outer sill) and running from front to back. I've borrowed the following images from the excellent A30/A35 Club forum in the hope that they help to explain..

If these don't help, I have a friend in the local car club who's currently restoring an A35 van and could go and bother him for more info in exchange for my having to fix the telly he's been waiting for me to start since 2004.. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

arceye

#3 Post by arceye » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Cheers John, I think I shall just run with my flat 1 piece inner sill thoughts then, just trying to unpick the original construction before I start doing anything foolish.

Now I can perhaps start to do a little while I save me pennies for a couple of four door sills

:thumbs:

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#4 Post by mr rusty » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:29 pm

There's some panel diagrams here which might be of help..http://www.austina30a35parts.com/images ... ls1001.jpg
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

arceye

#5 Post by arceye » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:36 pm

Cheers, thats pretty helpful for getting an idea of construction.

I've popped her in the garage now and started removing the drivers sill and multitude of tack welded patches that currently make up the inner sill. This is only going to be a case of make her strong and fit and then tidied rather than anything fancy but I do need to get the general construction right, I'll start a blog on her soon.