indicator warning alarm?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
sierra3dr

indicator warning alarm?

#1 Post by sierra3dr » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:57 pm

just got my MK5 taxed and tested yesterday after 5 years off the road,and the indicator self cancellation isn't working. Anyone know where I can get an audible device that has a more pleasant tone that the horrible buzzing type?

JPB

Re: indicator warning alarm?

#2 Post by JPB » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Just a thought, offered purely with the intention of preventing your doing unnecessary work:
Might it be simpler (and cheaper..) to remove the steering wheel, clean the old grease out of the upper column and reassemble? From what I can see in online images [the cancelling mechanism] is a simple nylon cam on the column on these, Chances are it's slipped out of engagement.
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

sierra3dr

#3 Post by sierra3dr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:16 am

I will admit that I had removed the UJ coupling between the rack and column to shift the branch manifold out of the way when I was removing cylinder head. Although I've reset the steering wheel to straight. Thanks for the suggestion JPB I suppose it would cut out additional work

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:12 pm

The cam is attached to the upper column so if you got the column back in a different position relative to the rack after doing the work, then simply moving the wheel won't have corrected the position of the indicator cancelling cam. Sounds very much like a simple case of removing the column shroud for access, then rotating the cam - with the wheel at the straight ahead position - to the mid point between the two cancelling levers on the stalk switch, which will get the cancelling to work. Unless you can't live with the column not being straight, in which case pin the rack at the straight ahead position (with a small drill or similar down the hole in the pinion housing that's there for this very purpose) and set up the column so that the U/Js are aligned so that the uppermost and lowest yokes are horizontal and the two yokes in between are vertical, which will also make the column lock work when the wheels are straight, if that's where you want it.

It could be worse; Citroens don't self cancel because André Citroën considered it to be a thing for lazy people. :lol:

Please forgive me if I'm attempting to teach ma Gruny tae sook igs, as she would have put it, had she not been decomposing gradually since 1973..
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: