Spade connectors

Post your technical queries / problems here!
JPB

Re: Spade connectors

#11 Post by JPB » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:20 pm

I believe we have, yes. Without the caps, the regulator will work, but some flickering in the gauge readings may be noticeable in time with the bassline coming from the boot.. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

History

#12 Post by History » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:41 pm

I like making stuff from scrap. I made a number plate lamp for my jeep from junk metal. Much better than the plastic one which fell apart. Saved 30 beer tokens. I am retired and I am happy to while away the days making stuff from scratch. The number plate lamp took 1 hour to make.

However it would be far easier to just buy the male/male connector. Or buy the correct voltage thingy in the first place.
Or feck it and glue it on with elephant snot and watch TV instead.

For better quality stuff check out marine electrical stuff.

Bob.

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:32 pm

Bob wrote:Making things from scrap..
:lol:

Ouch! ;) These parts had only been used in a few other projects :oops: before being repurposed. The original substrate and can had to be used in case the concours judges poked their heads up behind the instrument panel.
Chances are they'd have knocked it back by a point or three if they'd seen a modern IC in about the wiring of a 1960s car. :ugeek:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

History

#14 Post by History » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:21 am

Conkers dah elephants car then one gets fussy. But for a daily driver then nothing wrong in knocking up a number plate lamp from scrap metal. It won't look like scrap metal by the time I have filed and polished it up.

I got into old cars due to my habit of running champagne cars on lager money.

I have been doing this for 50 years and have made some cracking stuff. I made a quick release rad cap from billet brass and had it chrome plated because it was on the outside of the car. Singer 1925 re body as a Le Mans. Its actually not difficult to do on a screw cutting lathe and a Bridgeport vertical mill.

Things like bearing bushs in motors I just make on my lathe. ( 1910 Holbrook tool makers lathe 6 inch swing or 12 inch diameter 3 ft between centres. 2 hp motor ( a bit under powered but take lighter cuts and drop a gear.)

For any body who wants to learn how to use lathes and mills google metal machining. Lathes in particular are tge sort of machine that becomes obvious with in the first 5 mins of playing with it under INSTRUCTION. Some of it is not so obvious and even my 100 year old little lathe can rip a finger off.

A good book is Chapman's workshop practice written in about 1930.

At the moment I am designing an exhaust diverter or divertor valve for my car. 65 mm diameter butterfly. Big fat lump of steel for the body. My car is too quiet sometimes I like to leave the box in 2nd and pedal in the shag pile. Trouble is somewhere vaguely in the distance is a muted roar. I want the sound track louder.

So when the valve opens it goes to a cherry bomb. The valve does not actually divert the gases because when open BOTH systems are in circuit.

To operate 3 choices. Rod and cable. Vacuuum servo. Electric servo. The last probably is the easiest.

Also I have a nice bench vice and a large selection of files.

The trick is to design stuff bearing in mind what equipment one had at ones disposal and what mate can do what at mates rates. Plus of course the price of ready made stuff. I don't spend 2 days and 30 quid on something that I can buy for 20. Also I always do an accurate dimensioned drawing first. Paper is cheap the real thing isn't.

Time for bed.

Bob.

tractorman

#15 Post by tractorman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:48 am

The biggest problem for most of us is the lack of space to house proper engineering equipment. My pillar drill was a freebie, given by "Dave" (made up name to protect the innocent!), a former colleague and sold by our Head of Department to one of the IT technicians. The IT guy pulled the 3ph motor off and decided a single phase motor was too expensive, so gave it to Dave. He didn't have space for it, so it was offered to me! One new motor and switch (£120 or so) and it's been a really useful tool - but takes a lot of space compared to the old bench drill (a cheap B&Q effort - I gave it to Dave) and, at the moment, I can't have a bigger car than the Golf as it won't fit in the garage!

The "irony" is that the HOD wanted an extra lathe where the drill stood and pulled the GOOD pillar drill out. I said he was stupid at the time - the other drill is rubbish in comparison - and was ridiculed. Not long after I was given the drill, the HOD asked Dave if the drill was for sale. Dave really enjoyed telling him that I now owned it and it works beautifully - especially as I had left on bad terms with the HOD!!

I suppose I would have more space if I sold the woodworking machinery ... or the tractors and Landy!

TerryG

#16 Post by TerryG » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:08 pm

I had to turn down (no pun intended) a free lathe earlier this year as I had nowhere for it. In the end a local college collected it but they had to hire a 7.5 ton lorry as it was too large for a transit.
Money no object I'm sure most of us would have our own machine shop at home. I'm fortunate that there are lathes, milling machines, big pillar drills and various other bits of kit I can't quickly identify at work along with people that know how to use them that I can ask to help with fabrication. I just need to persuade them that a 3d printer would be a good investment as I need some new door trim.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

tractorman

#17 Post by tractorman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:46 pm

The new HOD offered me a nice milling machine last year. It worked well after I had sorted it but they were using a lot more CAD-CAM stuff and the old Bridgeport machine was taking up too much space. As I'd had to use a step to reach the pulleys (on the top of the machine) when I sorted it, and it would have taken more than a few good men to move it (there and here), I declined the offer!