MGB Interior trim (mainly Vinyl) cleaning?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
3xpendable

MGB Interior trim (mainly Vinyl) cleaning?

#1 Post by 3xpendable » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:05 am

Cleaning up the black and white interior trims for my GT. I made a start on things like the A post trims last night with a bit of APC (All Purpose Cleaner) and a toothbrush and they have come up not too bad, but I plan to give them a wipe over with back to black or similar in the case of the black ones but I was looking for some tips.

1. Some of the trims have marks of what looks like overspray or similar on them, any tips on cleaning them off?
2. The white trims (mainly sunvisors and roof trim) don't really seem to be cleanin up much with the toothbrush and APC treatment. What products out there could freshen them up? is there any sort of flexible paint/dye or any other decent cleaners?

Thanks
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

TerryG

Re: MGB Interior trim (mainly Vinyl) cleaning?

#2 Post by TerryG » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:09 am

It's probably the wrong thing to use but Cellulose thinners did a wonderful job of cleaning the cream vinyl sun visors in my RR. No more "grey" in the grooves within the pattern.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:16 pm

There's a fella who posts occasionally at Autoshite and RetroRides who used household distemper (might have been vinyl silk, but definitely one or the other) to refinish the somewhat aged roof cloth in his Triumph project car. I couldn't remember who he is though, so the half hour spent trying to find the thread in which the procedure appeared was wasted. :(
The results were mightily impressive as not only did the paint bring the colour right back, it also took most of the slack out between the bows and that renewed tension remained long after the fabric had dried off.

:idea: Just don't be tempted to use the cheap B&Q own label stuff though, it's awful and it leaves a really bad sort of reek behind that even burning the car wouldn't eliminate. Not that I've ever burnt a car on purpose, just saying. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#4 Post by tractorman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:13 pm

Emulsion paint was a popular way of customising in the 70s! I remember one or two cars in "Hot Car" that had their headlinings done with the stuff.

As John says, some of the cheaper ones smell terrible, but you can get low odour stuff without too much hassle. The biggest snag is that, as far as I can see locally, they don't do small amounts any more. Perhaps the special "Colourmatch" places will do a half litre or so (at a price); otherwise, try and persuade the boss that the sitting room would look better in a nice satin white. There again, I wonder if matt would look better in the car - especially as satin tends to show any marks (humps and hollows) on the walls!

Hmm, what about a nice shade of Magnolia ;)

Richard Moss

#5 Post by Richard Moss » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:59 am

For cleaning, Vanish soap, a nailbrush and warm water are unbeatable, wiped down with a sponge and clean water

Luxobarge

#6 Post by Luxobarge » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:58 am

As Terry says, for overspray, I've used a little cellulose thinners on a rag very successfully. Just be sparing with it and wipe any excess off when you're done, as prolonged contact with it will start to dissolve the vinyl itself. Make sure it's a clean rag too, otherwise ay dirt on the rag can get embedded in the vinyl, making it worse.

For general cleaning, stardrops works for me.

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

3xpendable

#7 Post by 3xpendable » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:51 pm

Thanks gents, will give some of those solutions a go
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

3xpendable

#8 Post by 3xpendable » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:30 am

Not even thinners got it off! So I've just blacked them up for now and will install them. Tidying up trims etc are on the 'to do' list once the car is on the road.
2013 Dodge Durango R/T