Diodes

Post your technical queries / problems here!
TerryG

Diodes

#1 Post by TerryG » Tue May 19, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi all,
I am currently doing some wiring on my rr (replacing corroded connectors mainly) and thought while I have the multi-plugs for both front doors on my list of things to replace I would sort out an issue that has been bothering me since I bought the car. When you open a door all the puddle lights come on. This looks "odd" if you look at the cars side profile at night as the door shuts are all glowing red.
To resolve this my plan is to put a diode in the circuit to the door switches and to wire the puddle lights in before it for each door so the puddle lights only ground directly through their own switch rather than the circuit in the car.
My only issue is, what diode? It needs to survive 2x 5w bulbs being grounded through it, not a huge amount of current there but I have confused myself looking at the hundreds of options on radio spares.
Any suggestions?
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

suffolkpete

Re: Diodes

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Tue May 19, 2015 5:11 pm

1N4003 or 4004, available from your local Maplin for next to nothing
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Tue May 19, 2015 5:26 pm

What he said! ^^^

However, smaller Maplins branches no longer keep much in the way of components in, but retail park ones do. I have mahoosive rolls of both types, Terry, so if you want a few to play with, gratis, just shoot me a PM and I'll stick some in an envelope.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#4 Post by TerryG » Tue May 19, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks gents. I can order them through work from RSWWW I just had no idea what I was after. So many possibilities blinded me. I suspect it will cost me less than the cost of a stamp and an envelope to get them on the next order at 16p each x4 but the offer is much appreciated.
While I have various bits of trim removed (finding leaks AGAIN) and am doing work on the wiring I thought this would be something fairly simple to do as it has bothered me for years.
Fortunately the door switches only flow minimal current as the system has a 5 second "fade" after you shut a door so there is an actual earth somewhere else doing the work and the door switches are just "sensors".
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.