Steel guage for a chassis?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
Luxobarge

Steel guage for a chassis?

#1 Post by Luxobarge » Thu May 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi Chaps,

Just a quick question - what guage steel sheet should I use for patching a box-section chassis?

In case it makes any difference, the chassis in question is that of a 1952 Reliant Regal.

All will become clear in a few weeks when I start work on it.....

Thanks!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Penguin45

Re: Steel guage for a chassis?

#2 Post by Penguin45 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:43 pm

I've been welding up a Jowett for months now and the chassis rails on that seem to be a combination of 1.5 and 2mm steel.

P45.

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Fri May 15, 2015 9:20 am

18swg, according to Don Pither's book on the subject, with significantly greater wall thickness for the tubular sections and, if it's genuinely built in '52 then it's not "A" 1952 Regal, it's "The" 1952 Regal. :o
James Holland at CHG in Norfolk is the bloke for general old Reliant bits and what he doesn't have he'll find sharp enough.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Fri May 15, 2015 10:30 am

Brill - thanks chaps, just what I needed.

John - thanks for the tip about Reliant parts, appreciated.

I'm just in the process of trying to establish ownership of this odd device that I've come across, and in a few weeks will be in a position to post the full story and photos - it's not a whole Reliant Regal, just the chassis, engine and basic running gear, it's a long way off running at the moment, but hopefully I might get it working without the need for too many spares. Because of this it's difficult to establish exactly what year it is, but it's early 50s for sure, a Mark 1.

Just wanting to do it for a laugh really, it'll never go back on the road.

Just asked about the steel guage as the chassis is a bit poorly around the front RH spring hanger, so a bit of steel and the sparkly wand will be needed at some point.

Cheers all!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

History

#5 Post by History » Tue May 26, 2015 8:25 pm

12 swg about 3 mm and 0.125"

16 swg 0.064" or 1.5 mm approx.
18 swg 0.048" or 1.1mm approx.

I use 16 swg on and around where suspension is attached.

18 for floors etc.

12 for brackets etc.

Standard wire gauge. SWG.

Bob

JPB

FFS!

#6 Post by JPB » Sat May 30, 2015 6:27 pm

Sorry Bob, how remiss of me to quote Mr Pither, a man who genuinely knew these things and whose books are known for containing only pertinent facts. I ought to have realised that what Mr Luxobarge actually wanted was a speculative stab in the dark, from someone for whom Thatcham has clearly never been anything other than a town in Berkshire. :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: