Soft top windows

Post your technical queries / problems here!
mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

Re: Soft top windows

#11 Post by mr rusty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:42 pm

I've always used a mix of evo-stik and needle'n'thread work. But then I see the hood as a more or less disposable item, like tyres, something that needs replacing every so often. Yours looks like mine, not a nice mohair one but a non too brilliant vinyl one.... One of my side windows has gone like yours. I'll be out with the glue and thimble and stuff, yet again.....I'll patch it up but as its always down except when its raining I'm not inclined to spend too much on fixing it! Get a pro in and you're probably half way to the price of a new hood cover anyway, and once you've fixed that side the other will soon follow..
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Fatbloke

#12 Post by Fatbloke » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Very like you mr rusty in my hood usage and inclinations on spending unnecessary money I don't have.

I have identified come UV resistant clear PVC and Glue just need to buy some and get on with it.

I'll keep you all up to date on how much of a disaster it turns out to be.

PS. The other side HAS gone too! :(
Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald

rich.

#13 Post by rich. » Fri May 01, 2015 10:00 am

TerryG wrote: (she makes shoes as a hobby :S )
can we have more details? my grandfather used to make shoes etc & my dad was making shoes etc by the age of ten, something he never passed on to me which i regret as now ive got kids of my own & am spending a fortune on crappy shoes made in china :evil:

TerryG

#14 Post by TerryG » Fri May 01, 2015 10:29 am

erm............... something to do with rolls of leather, sheets of rubber and "thick cardboard" various lasts either wooden (home made) or metal (purchased) I occasionally get asked to help form a shank then she waves glue around and another pair of shoes appears.
If there is something specific you would like to know I can ask her but I have as much interest in shoe making as she does in old cars so I know very little about it.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#15 Post by JPB » Fri May 01, 2015 10:54 am

Terry wrote:I occasionally get asked to help form a shank then she waves glue around
:shock:

That sounds like a truly liberating pastime, any chance of a video clip?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#16 Post by TerryG » Fri May 01, 2015 11:06 am

It normally involves a vice, a hammer and some 15x100x2mm steel. i'll leave the glue and leather to your imagination.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#17 Post by JPB » Fri May 01, 2015 11:28 am

:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

VFK44

#18 Post by VFK44 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:14 pm

Suggestion:
  • first test the repair on a bit of the old window material.
  • second, only glue the repair to the remaining border of broken plastic. If it all goes wrong, your hood will be undamaged and you can still get it professionally repaired,
      third, leave a border when cutting off the old window (except of course if it has ripped off at the bottom). More to stick to, less chance of a messy job, and no-one will notice 1/4" of flash around the quarter windows.

History

#19 Post by History » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:27 pm

Repairing soft top covers and the windows is best left to the trim shop.
    I would get a quote before you diy because it may not be as expensive as you think.

The price is forgotten when the quality remains.
    Bob.

Fatbloke

#20 Post by Fatbloke » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:35 pm

Not on my budget it's not Bob! And it is as expensive as I think because I checked.
    Mike.

A Fatbloke in a Herald