mercedes 200T mpg?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
flutey

mercedes 200T mpg?

#1 Post by flutey » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:24 pm

Hi, just recomissioning a 1983 Mercedes 200T four speed manual. I was hoping to use it everyday and wonderred what people's experience was, especially MPG. Thanks, Vinny

alabbasi

Re: mercedes 200T mpg?

#2 Post by alabbasi » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:09 am

I would guess low 20's. MB's (any MB) of the era was not great on fuel. I have a 280TE with a 4 speed, it does about 18mpg, mostly highway.

JPB

Re: mercedes 200T mpg?

#3 Post by JPB » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:16 am

We used a cheap 200T, bought from the salvage auction, fitted with fresh seat diaphragms and its rear suspension converted to the reliable, manually adjusted type, as a parts chaser for IM's local rounds during the late '80s. It was a strong car, had a spacious load deck and wasn't too horrible to drive but frugal it wasn't. Its consumption figures were around the lower of Al's suggested numbers but in Imperial liquid MPG, possibly because it was rarely empty or maybe because the thing was so slow that making progress required it to be hammered everywhere. I should think that Al's figures (for the IL4 engine) would be achievable in sympathetic hands, (multiply by 1.2 to convert to Imperial liquid Gallons, which instantly looks better) but as an alternative to a Volvo 245, the economy is less shocking since a manual [Volvo] - with any of the petrol engine options - can do as badly as 16mpg under similar conditions, though is larger inside so perhaps that's a slightly shan comparison? :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: