Brake pedal solid

Post your technical queries / problems here!
johnc

Brake pedal solid

#1 Post by johnc » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi all,
I have a problem with my brakes in that the pedal is solid but the brakes are not applied.I have completely renewed the system;rear cylinders,professionally rebuilt front calipers,new pipes,overhauled mastercylinder and new servo (quality replacement not cheapo import). With or without the engine running the pedal has no travel at all,there is no travel when starting the engine.I have bled the system using Easybleed and all appeared fine.The car has not yet been on the road since completion of the restoration but this problem has only recently become evident.Any help would be appreciated.
Johnc

kevin

Re: Brake pedal solid

#2 Post by kevin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:02 pm

I would crack a union at each major component, one by one working nearest to the master cylinder and along the system until furthest away, check the pedal at each loosening to see if it frees up. That should at least highlight which component is the culprit.
You can then hopefully concentrate on the faulty item.
Did it bleed up ok?

Kev

Luxobarge

#3 Post by Luxobarge » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:43 pm

What car?
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:06 pm

Could it be the O/P's Series IV Sunbeam Rapier that's causing him this brake-related headache? Yes, JohnC, knowing this would be useful as some cars' master cylinders are more prone to having their main seal blow inside out when used with a pressure bleeder than others and it's not something I could find mentioned in connection with the Rapier's generic Girling CV-based M/C.
On the other hand, and again if this is the Rapier; it appears that some cars were fitted with a Lockheed M/C and I've met a few of those, mostly in kittens and Rootes applications, whose seals had been compromised by use of the pressure bleeder.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kevin

#5 Post by kevin » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:49 am

When I fitted a newly refurb end brake system inc new remote servo on the Singer last year I found the easi bleed pretty useless for setting up and actually getting the air out, the old fashioned system of having some1 operate the brake pedal (daughter) worked a treat.
Sometimes the old ways are the best.

Kev

johnc

#6 Post by johnc » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:49 am

Thanks for the comments guys,
Yes it is my Rapier IV,fitted with a Lockheed remote servo (genuine replacement).I am begining to wonder if indeed it could be the m/c seals (Lockheed) being reversed, as prior to using the pressue bleeder there was a 'pedal' but it was soft which did improve with pumping.I'll strip the m/c and have a look. I'll employ the services of my supervisor (aka wife) to assist in bleeding the old fashioned way. I'll let you know how it goes.
John

sierra3dr

#7 Post by sierra3dr » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Do the brakes operate under the manifold vacuum?

johnc

#8 Post by johnc » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi guys,
The saga continues.I removed the m/c and all is OK seals not reversed and it operates no problem.Before I reinstall it does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I could check at this stage.
Sierra3dr,the servo is operated by the inlet manifold take off and I can see no obvious fault there,pipe is new and of correct type.
Is there any way of checking the servo operation before refitting the m/c?
John

kevin

#9 Post by kevin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:46 pm

Take some pics of the various bits for us, we may spot something

Kev

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:09 pm

kevin wrote:Take some pics of the various bits for us, we may spot something

Kev
That's a good plan.

Another thing that could be involved here is flexy hoses that have collapsed internally and are acting as valves, though this would be unlikely to involve all three flexies and generally, if these hoses have done this, they'll gradually open up again and would tend not to make the pedal feel completely solid.
Have the wheel cylinders seized in their slides through lack of use? Unless they'd seized both relative to the backplate and internally then I'd expect some pedal movement but anything is possible.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: