Cleaning slot mag wheels

Post your technical queries / problems here!
phorbiuz

Cleaning slot mag wheels

#1 Post by phorbiuz » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:45 am

I've had a set of Cobra SuperSlots in storage for a long time and consequently they're now quite weathered. My thinking is to polish them up then lacquer them so they can go on something I'm building. Rather than sit there for countless hours with a rag and some T-Cut or such I was thinking it might be easier to get a mini mop that attaches to a drill with some mild cutting compound.

Has anyone tried this before or have any recommendations what to use?

Cheers.
1971 Ford Cortina 1.6L
1979 Ford Cortina 2.0GL
1984 Ford Capri 2.8i
1985 Ford Transit 100 AutoSleeper

Ian

Re: Cleaning slot mag wheels

#2 Post by Ian » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:29 am

I had slots on my Scimitar and they were in very poor condition, I started by wet flatting the wheels (in one direction as much as you can and using 1000 to 3000 paper) followed by a polish with a cloth buffing wheel in an electric drill, followed by a hand cut with G3 and finally sealed with carnuaba wax. Dont forget to dress the tyres too, I suggest autoglym tyre dressing, sprayed on and left to settle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125731832 ... 432849931/
Strive for perfection in everything you do

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Ian, erm, are Scimitars really so unbelievably sensual that photos of them are considered unsuitable for younger folk? (I like to think so, but then I would) I ask because of this:

Now the funny thing is that I was already signed in so what is it that we're not allowed to see? Anna Friel draped over the bonnet of your Scim wearing nothing but a smile? Tailpipe man working his magic at the other end? Intrigued now.. :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Ian

#4 Post by Ian » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:56 pm

I have no idea whats going on with it, my photostream is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/125731832@N08/ hopefully you can view my pics from this link :?
Strive for perfection in everything you do

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Yep, that worked. I was a bit worried when I saw the "adult content" warning that appeared when I clicked the flickR link in your earlier post though. I mean, I find a four wheeled Reliant as arousing as the next bloke does :oops: but that seemed over cautious on flickR's part.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: