BMC Halogen conversion

Post your technical queries / problems here!
tractorman

Re: BMC Halogen conversion

#21 Post by tractorman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:58 pm

I dare say that they would be worth more in ten years if he kept the lights. eBay buyers will buy anything at almost insande prices if they think it's off a tractor rather than just NOS in a nice new box, so I suggesg that he swaps the lights over every six months or so: he'll make a fortune!

bnicho

#22 Post by bnicho » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:59 am

In about 2002 I bought a pair of used Halogen headlights from an early Range Rover for $20AU. Fitted then to the Moke and they are still there today. I have not even changed a bulb in them yet. They have the flat lenses but that does not bother me one bit. :)
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Mitsuru

#23 Post by Mitsuru » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Mog with the new halogen head light conversion, older versions apparently were flatter
lensed according to the owner who had those fitted first but went and changed both
for the newer version after one got damaged!

I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

zipgun

#24 Post by zipgun » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:15 pm

P5 bezels too?

JPB

#25 Post by JPB » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Aron, maybe the owner isn't aware of this, but his n/s headlamp - as seen in the last picture - is one of the type I was referring to in connection with the O/P's Minor;BPF, the type that is now serviced by halogen conversions to fit the original unit, which shares the lens pattern of sealed beams as well as their convex form. ;) Checking out the Wipac catalogue shows that these units are indeed being reproduced, thereby dodging neatly round the cessation of sealed beam manufacture in the 7" now too. These BPF lamps are straight out of the period 1950-1963, so small wonder they look right on a Minor. :thumbs:

Can't see the o/s one well enough to say but if he bought a pair chances are. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

zipgun

#26 Post by zipgun » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Bringing it up again... these look ok and not expensive http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-TVS-Pre ... 5489wt_816

JPB

#27 Post by JPB » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:36 pm

:shock: These haven't half dropped in price :thumbs: , just the job for the suggested A30 and H4 envelopes on bases to fit are only about £3 now so it seems that there's no need to use flat alternatives for 7" lamps. As for the 5.75" sealed beams, the current alternatives have a nicely convex lens but you can also choose one with the focus dealt with in the shell and the lens plain polycarbonate, much like the ones used in some recent new motors. One of the cars I used to own, which ran 5.75" sealed beams, now has a set of the clear units now and they actually look pretty good though they might fail to impress the anally retentive as their cars couldn't possibly allow the drivers to see their way in the dark, ergo they're no longer authentic so the world will be ending tomorrow afternoon.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#28 Post by TerryG » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:57 pm

I really want these but they will need to drop in price to around £100 for the pair before I can seriously think about it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-De ... 0477464589?
They may not look quite factory but having driven a defender with them, they are superb.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

zipgun

#29 Post by zipgun » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:16 pm

At dazzling oncoming traffic.... :evil:

TerryG

#30 Post by TerryG » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:53 am

If you buy an e marked kit and adjust them properly they won't dazzle oncoming drivers. I upgraded my focus to the factory option LED headlamps and they are amazing. They are very different in that you don't get any light leakage so driving a car with H4s in you illuminate the trees above you and more distance to the sides. LEDs are much more focused. I suppose it depends what you like but more targeted lighting and fewer wasted watts can't be all bad.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.