Exhaust regulations

Post your technical queries / problems here!
mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

Re: Exhaust regulations

#11 Post by mr rusty » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:31 am

There's an interesting flowchart attached to the mot site which gives a bit more info on what happens if the car doesn't come up on the database: http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/cat1.pdf
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

jimmyybob

#12 Post by jimmyybob » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:58 pm

sierra3dr wrote:A very interesting link there John. But,not all Testers will be inspired to confirm the engine age
Note: The onus is on the vehicle presenter
to prove engine age.

A tester doesnt have the time to fanny around checking its age also how would he find out.??? None of this is part of the test.
If he fails the emissions because you havent given the details to the tester before hand then so be it.

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 pm

I've just looked for, but not found where I may have suggested otherwise..... :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Paul240480

#14 Post by Paul240480 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:53 am

I have a mate who has a Mitsu' Shogun & a Pajero. Shogun is V6 petrol & is only used as a 'tow-car'/tractor these days & sits in the garage sometimes for weeks on end. It failed it's latest CT (Frenchy MOT) on emissions being too high. After explaining how it is used, the tester advised a week or so's worth of good road use including some motorway runs. This was done & it passed with flying colours at the re-test.
Just wondering if the Carlton has had little use or has stood for some time? Could be a good excuse for some nice 'blats' 8-)
Good luck.

M Paul Lloyd

#15 Post by M Paul Lloyd » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:29 pm

Thanks Paul, and yes I think a good blast would do no harm, although having a replaceable cat might prove to be a good move anyway. ;)
May the light at the end of your long dark tunnel not be a train travelling the other way.
http://sciencefocus.com/forum/index.php ... e0b9d88e25