AP Auto transmission problem, advice please

Post your technical queries / problems here!
kmprecisioneng

Re: AP Auto transmission problem, advice please

#21 Post by kmprecisioneng » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:58 pm

harvey wrote:
kmprecisioneng wrote: 1) Pre 79 must be 20/50
2) Post 79 must be 10/40
Just out of interest, was that change point at the same time as they got PARK?
yes and No, Park is only on the 1275 Mini which came a lot later.. however all Metros had park from memory... don't tend to do much "fitting" of units, we just make parts for Classic Mini and the automatic is something we have a lot of experience and are good at rebuilding them (blowing own trumpet)

some of the things we do...

https://www.linkedin.com/company/932465 ... m%20precis

kmprecisioneng

#22 Post by kmprecisioneng » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:00 pm

I suppose I should add, that the valve bodies are considerably different from 79 onwards, oil ways have different sized hoiles etc... this is why the thicker oil causes it to be a) sluggish b) destroy itself pretty quickly in most cases c) ruin the fun .

JPB

#23 Post by JPB » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Lancia Betas using the AP four speed device had a parking pawl arrangement from the start of production, which would predate the park facility being introduced in the Metro. Earlier miniMETROs had no park position, so that would be up to the introduction of the ones with no bonnet bulge in, what's that, 1984/85ish?
I was trying to remember the other day whether the Beta still runs the AP transmission in engine oil or does it use ATF. One of those that didn't have to cope with running in black oil with swarf in it would surely be nigh on indestructible.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kmprecisioneng

#24 Post by kmprecisioneng » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:19 pm

JPB wrote:Lancia Betas using the AP four speed device had a parking pawl arrangement from the start of production, which would predate the park facility being introduced in the Metro. Earlier miniMETROs had no park position, so that would be up to the introduction of the ones with no bonnet bulge in, what's that, 1984/85ish?
I was trying to remember the other day whether the Beta still runs the AP transmission in engine oil or does it use ATF. One of those that didn't have to cope with running in black oil with swarf in it would surely be nigh on indestructible.

No idea about the Lancia's as I never stray away from the A series fitment.... never been asked either but that's another story...

The sludge you find in the AP2 as fitted to Minis and Metro's etc.... does cause issues but far worse is the low mileage, "clean oil therefore don't need to change it brigade" as this allows moisture to build up and damage the friction plates which are paper based... water and paper ... not good together, the resultant mess is devastating to such an amazing piece of engineering.

bnicho

#25 Post by bnicho » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:53 pm

Minis and Metros did not get "Park" until about 1989, and even then it was only on the 1275 Autos. I think that is about when the 998 Auto was phased out but I'm not sure.

Mine was a 1990 and I only ever used 20W50 in it. The top-reverse clutch went after 20,000 miles in my Moke, and at least 33,000 miles in a Metro before that. I heard many conflicting stores about which oil was correct. So maybe I was using the wrong thing.

I've kept the complete Auto power unit and subframe as I may create an Automatic Mini Traveller Mk1 in the future. :)
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder