Triumph Herald "overcooling" in winter weather

Post your technical queries / problems here!
kingsgate

Triumph Herald "overcooling" in winter weather

#1 Post by kingsgate » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:08 pm

I have a 1961 Herald convertible. It has a slightly non-original engine from a Spit 1500.

The other week I took it on a longish drive down the M4 in freezing weather.

The engine temp. stayed way too low as soon as I was up to 50mph or more, resulting in the heater blowing almost cold air, making for a less than comfy drive!

Any hints or tips on the best way to limit the air-flow across the radiator for winter weather, so it warms up properly?

Does anyone sell a "radiator muff" or something that would neatly fit this car, or is it just a question of improvising something?

Thanks in advance!

Wicksy

Re: Triumph Herald "overcooling" in winter weather

#2 Post by Wicksy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:26 am

The thermostat is probably off it's seat or staying open. I would replace it with an 88 deg item and while your at it give the coolant system a flush - the heater matrix could be silted up and contributing to the naff heater.
In this cold snap it is also important to keep the antifreeze ratio OK - as you have found the coolant flow through the rad at cruise is low and windchill can turn it into a giant ice lolly :!:
In the days of thermo syphon systems (no stat and pump) drivers used rad blinds for quick warm up and prevention of over cooling :lol:

tractorman

Re: Triumph Herald "overcooling" in winter weather

#3 Post by tractorman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:20 am

+1

We had three or four Heralds in the family and never had problems with the heaters in cold weather - and they went through some pretty cold winters.

We had Minors before the first Herald and my father bought a "muff" for the radiator grille on the second Minor in the early 60's. It wasn't the best of ideas though and it didn't get used on the second (that we got in '63/4)! Now I think back, out first Herald (a '61 with the handle on the bonnet) had an aftermarket blind fitted - you pulled a string to close it up and a knob that you pulled to let it down again). I think father tried it - once - and reckoned it wasn't needed. It wasn't long after that that the head needed skimming...