Ceramic Coating v. Heat Wrap

Post your technical queries / problems here!
M Paul Lloyd

Re: Ceramic Coating v. Heat Wrap

#21 Post by M Paul Lloyd » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:07 am

It's just.............................. business. :(
May the light at the end of your long dark tunnel not be a train travelling the other way.
http://sciencefocus.com/forum/index.php ... e0b9d88e25

Luxobarge

#22 Post by Luxobarge » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:12 am

Hmmm - thing is, there's no "sticky stuff" whatsoever on heat wrap, I reckon if I took mine off my manifold and gave it a brief wipe over there'd be nothing you could see that would indicate that it had ever had heat-wrap on it.

If you know what I'm saying..... ;)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

TerryG

#23 Post by TerryG » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:29 pm

Luxobarge wrote:Hmmm - thing is, there's no "sticky stuff" whatsoever on heat wrap, I reckon if I took mine off my manifold and gave it a brief wipe over there'd be nothing you could see that would indicate that it had ever had heat-wrap on it.

If you know what I'm saying..... ;)
Rimmers heat wrap doesn't look that good anyway ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#24 Post by JPB » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm wondering why this stuff would invalidate the system maker's warranty. Could it be that the grade of steel used will be much more brittle when it cannot radiate away the heat at that point, so might fail sooner where a more brittle steel than that specified for a BMS system is used?
I honestly can't believe that it would make that much difference to the behaviour of the metal. :?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

sierra3dr

#25 Post by sierra3dr » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:23 am

sierra3dr wrote:I have applied both,but haven't put the ceramic to test as I have yet to rebuild the engine,having painted it on the turbo exhaust side plus manifold. The wrap I have used and it does reduce the heat. The surface needs to be treated for the ceramic paint to stick
I take this back,as it was several years ago when I did it. I was at the time looking for ceramic paint,and I'm guessing that I eventually opted for VHT. I've been hunting around for the spray can,to no avail. I don't think it's possible to get ceramic paint in a spray can

TerryG

#26 Post by TerryG » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:58 am

I called Double S and asked why heat wrap will void the warranty and was told "I don't know why but it says that in our warranty terms"
very helpfull.

JPB

#27 Post by JPB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 am

TerryG wrote:I called Double S and asked why heat wrap will void the warranty and was told "I don't know why but it says that in our warranty terms"
very helpfull.
That clause is invalid in legal terms unless they can provide a sound technical reason for imposing it.

I had a similar situation over part of my Dolomite's exhaust system which had been replaced under the "lifetime" warranty.
The middle pipe rusted through and true to their warranty terms, the supplier sent a replacement with an apology and a promise that supplier's backsides would be kicked.
The next year, that replacement section started to rattle as the baffles had all come adrift.
The suppliers then told me that, because the section that had failed now wasn't that supplied as part of the original, complete system, the warranty was void. They also tried to tell me that the warranty only applied to cars which were not in daily service and were garaged! (no names as this has since been resolved to my satisfaction).
Fortunately, my solicitor demonstrated to the suppliers' MD that no exclusions actually existed under which they could refuse this further claim, so they coughed up with a fresh section and also confirmed in writing that "lifetime" means just that, if any part of the system now rots out or falls apart, then it will be replaced as long as the car remains on the road.

So I'd be asking your supplier to clarify this in writing, and cite their reasons. Otherwise, they haven't a leg to stand on if you wrap it and it subsequently fails. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

ajsphead

#28 Post by ajsphead » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:19 pm

If you do decide to wrap, I've found Titanium wrap from Agriemach is brilliant. Using the 2" wrap on a 1/2" overlap on the downpipe has made a huge difference to the underbonnet temperatures on the old Saab Turbo. For manifolds, look at them first and decide if you can wrap them - I can't wrap the Saab, so it's got to be a manifold jacket. It also reduces the paint stripping effect of hot pipes, so will make the body last longer. I really don't know why more people don't it, particularly with Turbo engines.

Anthony
1992 Saab 900 Turbo 160 5dr 'Eric'
1992 Saab 900 N/A 3dr 'Bertie'
1985 Rover SD1 Vitesse 'Stan'
2003 Honda VTR 1000 'Ronnie'

TerryG

#29 Post by TerryG » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:38 pm

one quick google later and this springs up:
http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=1252
that looks promising.