Rust proofing, DIY or profesionals

Post your technical queries / problems here!
swisstony

Rust proofing, DIY or profesionals

#1 Post by swisstony » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi,

Been thinking about this for a while, seen the ads in the mag and the price seems reasonable but is it worth tackling myself.

Anyone any experiences esp companies near Sheffield

thanks

pryantcc

Re: Rust proofing, DIY or profesionals

#2 Post by pryantcc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:17 am

Hi, I think it depends on how poor you are. There's no doubt that it's a messy, smelly job, so it would be nice to have someone else do it for you. You're right to ask for a recommendation though, I often wonder if professionals would go to the same lengths I do to do a job well.

So, I'm not much helop to you really. What's the car, do you have somewhere dry to do it yourself? Do you have a compressor?

swisstony

#3 Post by swisstony » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:58 am

The car actually is my classic in waiting, a 1999 Alfa GTV which i'll always keep so was looking at preserving it as best i can. I do have a dry garage but no compressor. Prices seem to be about £250 so i think it may be worth a professional job.

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:26 am

Weren't those fully Galvanised though? :? Or was the rear crossmember untreated like those on 164s? Either way, it shouldn't need more than a rattle can's worth of product over a very small part of the car so in this case, even a pro shouldn't be charging too much to do the job. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#5 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:27 pm

I wouldn't do it myself unless I had a compressor.

Mind you, I wouldn't go to a "pro" either - I'd get a comressor!

Strongly recommend Dinitrol by the way, much better than the ubiquitous Waxoyle.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

johnc

#6 Post by johnc » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:29 pm

Yep,I agree with Luxo,just done my '64 Rapier with Dinitrol. Full kit (fluids,shultz gun etc.) cost less than £100,so for £250 you could buy the treatment,a small compressor and have enough left for a pair of disposable overalls (essential).

swisstony

#7 Post by swisstony » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:13 pm

thanks guys, i'll certainly look more into DIY, i've been looking for a good reason to buy a compressor for ages and if it's going to pay for itself!

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:23 pm

swisstony wrote:thanks guys, i'll certainly look more into DIY, i've been looking for a good reason to buy a compressor for ages and if it's going to pay for itself!
Are you sure that the shell isn't Galvanised though? It's just that the publicity material of the period seems to reckon it was. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

M Paul Lloyd

#9 Post by M Paul Lloyd » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Even a galavnised body can benefit from treatment, you have to bear in mind that any repairs and even some of the seams can prove to be week spots, plus I have known shells to end up with uncoated spots, no idea how it happens (poor pre-cleaning possibly?) but its best to be sure, also don't overlook Aluminium alloy, ok it doesn't 'rust' but it does corrode. ;)
May the light at the end of your long dark tunnel not be a train travelling the other way.
http://sciencefocus.com/forum/index.php ... e0b9d88e25

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:28 pm

True enough, and indeed some Reliant Foxes, Rialtos and later Robins had chassis that were poorly pickled before going into the tank, so were actually in a much worse state than the earlier, non-Galvanised ones at a relatively early age, but those Alfas have a reputation for being brilliantly well made and resistant to the crusty stuff so only if there are none-dealer body repairs should corrosion ever become a problem in their case.
J