Rust proofing, DIY or profesionals

Post your technical queries / problems here!
M Paul Lloyd

Re: Rust proofing, DIY or profesionals

#11 Post by M Paul Lloyd » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Anyway, I have just had my car done professionaly (350gbp for a 4 door saloon by Si Jackson at Wax Works, 3 Coopies Way, Morpeth ) mine is not a classic but I want to keep it and to be honest, unless you have a large well ventilated working area with no close neighbours, two post lift, exceptional cleaning gear, high pressure waxing rig and a slightly masochistic propensity I would not choose to do it myself.

Proffesional get my vote. ;)
May the light at the end of your long dark tunnel not be a train travelling the other way.
http://sciencefocus.com/forum/index.php ... e0b9d88e25

TriumphDriver

#12 Post by TriumphDriver » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:43 am

M Paul Lloyd wrote:Unless you have a large well ventilated working area with no close neighbours, two post lift, exceptional cleaning gear, high pressure waxing rig and a slightly masochistic propensity I would not choose to do it myself.
Gawd we're getting spoilt these days. I regularly do the Landy with an old shower curtain on the ground and a schutz gun full of Waxoyl. I keep two aerosol cans in the boot for touch-ups after powerwashing. The Triumphs are jacked off the ground as high as they will go, first front then rear, and sprayed in the same manner with all drain holes and chassis apertures sprayed with a long nozzle. £350 is a lot of money for something that requires repeating every year.
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

m.thaddeus

#13 Post by m.thaddeus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:14 pm

Hello Chaps

Wax injection is as smelly and messy a job as you can ever do. I have done a few and usually spend more time cleaning up afterwards as doing the actual job.

I set the car on stands remove as much trim in and out as is practical and set to with the injection lance and paintbrush for all the seams and back edges and trims etc. And when it all done. the whole car has to be wiped with panel cleaner ( at least twice) and then given a damn good waxing. Then you put all the trim back and clean the car again. During this time you will have washed you hands a dozen times.

The upshot is a very shiny car which stinks and will drip wax in hot weather. Worthwhile and actually very satisfying.

If you can do it yourself. I charge about £300, but for the hours involved that is not a lot.

Regards Martin

M Paul Lloyd

#14 Post by M Paul Lloyd » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:37 am

TriumphDriver wrote:
M Paul Lloyd wrote:Unless you have a large well ventilated working area with no close neighbours, two post lift, exceptional cleaning gear, high pressure waxing rig and a slightly masochistic propensity I would not choose to do it myself.
Gawd we're getting spoilt these days. I regularly do the Landy with an old shower curtain on the ground and a schutz gun full of Waxoyl. I keep two aerosol cans in the boot for touch-ups after powerwashing. The Triumphs are jacked off the ground as high as they will go, first front then rear, and sprayed in the same manner with all drain holes and chassis apertures sprayed with a long nozzle. £350 is a lot of money for something that requires repeating every year.
Point taken, I have become lazy in my old age, :( but in my defence the work is guaranteed for three years with free annual top-ups during the warranty period. Plus I'm not as nimble as I once was what with one tin hip and another due I would struggle to get down there these days.. :mrgreen:
May the light at the end of your long dark tunnel not be a train travelling the other way.
http://sciencefocus.com/forum/index.php ... e0b9d88e25