Steering box

Post your technical queries / problems here!
Tassi

Steering box

#1 Post by Tassi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:52 am

After seven years of hard graft I have nearly finished restoreing a 1967 Fiat 600D. All of the steering and suspension components are new with the exception of the worm screw and sector steering box. With the front wheels on the ground there is about 15mm of "play at the steering wheel. Is this acceptable for a MOT ? If not where can I get the steering box reconditioned? Is the box the same as fitted to the 500 ? Any advice would be gratefully recieved. Peter

JPB

Re: Steering box

#2 Post by JPB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 am

The MOT tester's manual says:
Reason for rejection
Types of suspension covered
This inspection applies to the steering mechanism of all types of front suspension.

A. Free Play
1. With the road wheels on the ground pointing straight ahead, lightly turn the steering wheel left and right as far as possible without moving the road wheels.

1. A point on the rim of the steering wheel moves, without the road wheels moving, for more than
a. 75mm for non rack and pinion
:)

Even if it had a rack, then 13mm would be acceptable and you could easily get from 15 to 13 with a smaller wheel. As it is, you've a further 60mm of play allowed before you need to worry.
My 500's more than 200 miles away at the moment so I can't just pop out to check, but I'm sure it had more than 15mm.
The boxes appear, from the parts list I have, to be the same but as you don't need one, that's kind of immaterial. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

SirTainleyBarking

#3 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:02 pm

I had to re-read that until I realised that 75mm is the 3" that I remember.

just over half an inch of play is tight as a drum for a box. Practically as new
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

Tassi

#4 Post by Tassi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, you certainly have put my mind at rest. However, a few more months work and the first attempt at the MOT will be made!!!! Cheers