Citroen dim dip headlamp wiring diagram.

Post your technical queries / problems here!
BXBXBXBX

Citroen dim dip headlamp wiring diagram.

#1 Post by BXBXBXBX » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi all. I dont have a Haynes manual to hand and to be honest I have found them hopeless. Citroen BX dim dip headlamp wiring I need to disable the system so that I have a 'normal' system, without the headlamps running at reduced brightness when the engine is running with the sidelights only on.
Thank you very much.
Cheers.
Geoff.

JPB

Re: Citroen dim dip headlamp wiring diagram.

#2 Post by JPB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:33 pm

Have you tried the BX Club forum? I typed the term "wiring diagram" into the search bar and 600 hits were thrown up, so there's every chance it's mentioned in there. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

suffolkpete

#3 Post by suffolkpete » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:15 am

If you can find the dim/dip resistor, a metal canister usually mounted near the front of the car, just disconnect it.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

BXBXBXBX

#4 Post by BXBXBXBX » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:13 am

Hi thank you all, just disconnect the resistor,' hum' that is what I thought but it appears not to be that simple, if I disconnect it (the resistor.) , then the main beam, when selected, with the engine running stays on irrespective of position of the lighting switch and will only go off when the engine is turned off.
With the engine off then then I have side, dipped and headlamps, headlamp flasher and all OK.!!!!!! I assume that there is a relay that locks on when the engine is running or something like that. Hence the wiring diagram would be useful.
Yes I did try the BX club but I never have any success with searches there, it came back with 13 pages of irrelevant answers.
Cheers.
Geoff.

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:17 am

If you simply disconnect the resistor, then are you not effectively leaving pin 87a - fed from the ignition supply - connected but removing the connection to pin 87?
That will mean that the dipped headlamps don't work at all when the engine's running since 87a defaults to off. ;)

edited: I see you've found this out for yourself since I wrote this.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

BXBXBXBX

#6 Post by BXBXBXBX » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:37 am

Hello John thank you, would you be so kind as to tell me what the numbers 87 & 87a allude to, I assume ( dangerous.) that they are relay markings if so then the location would be good.
Thanks again.
Cheers.
Geoff.

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Sorry, yes, pin 87a is the one that's central to the relay, pin 87 is above and parallel to 87a, at the edge of the relay, furthest from its locating clip.

Like so:
J

BXBXBXBX

#8 Post by BXBXBXBX » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Hello John thank you for your message, I apologise I should have made my query a little clearer, When I said location I meant the location of the relay. :oops: The diagram I have found has no relay numbers on so I am guessing, so if I remove the resistor and connect the lead from the relay contact that went to the resistor to earth then that should give me a dip supply. Sorry if I am being thick but it's one of those days when I look at something and 'stop' thinking, can't see the wood for the trees etc. must keep taking the tablets. Actually true.
Thank you.
Cheers.
Geoff.

Initially the diagram of the relay pins did not show, got them now ta.

BXBXBXBX

#9 Post by BXBXBXBX » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Hello John. I believe I have found the reason for most of the confusion I picked out a relay from the bits and pieces box and it agrees with your diagram which did not want to load ** pin 87a is a contact which is normally closed and pin 87 is open, now according to the diagram which I have the Ignition is NOT connected to 87a but is connected to pin 85 or one side of the coil. The resistor being connected to pin 87.
The relay shown in the diagram is shown as a normally open switch IE. just 2 contacts.
The other side of the coil is connected to one side of the headlamp main beam switch and also to both headlamp bulbs, live side of main beam filament.
So I am afraid I am going to have to ask for instructions as to how to disable the dim dip system physically if that is possible please because the diagram I have looks useless. Sorry to be a pain John.
Most sincere thanks for your time and trouble.
Cheers.
Geoff.

Not quite sure what is happening at the moment, could not get the forum to load last night and it's taking at least 5 minutes for the reply to threads to load. 'Waiting for PC etc.' with the round loading wizzy thing whizzing. :lol:

BXBXBXBX

#10 Post by BXBXBXBX » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:36 pm

OK John problem solved, once it became clear that the diagram was wrong, hence the reason why I was going round in circles, I simply had to find the relay which turned out to be by the rear screen wash bottle and see what was what. disconnected the relay and that was that. It does not make any difference if the resistor is connected or not so that can be ignored.
Thank you for your kind help in providing Correct information, it really does make a difference.
Cheers.
Geoff.