What does this funny noise mean?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
FlyingBrick

What does this funny noise mean?

#1 Post by FlyingBrick » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:30 pm

My 1967 Land Rover Series 2 (2286cc petrol) has started making a funny knocking noise from the top end of the engine.

It sounds like one of the valve clearances is seriously out, but in fact all the clearances are fine - I've checked them twice.

I made a video of the engine ticking over, to capture the noise. See it (and hear it!) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-knDOP3dkGo

Some friends once owned a Morris Marina that made a similar racket. They couldn't find anything obviously wrong, so they kept driving it. A few days later the head gasket blew on the motorway.

So is this the noise of a head gasket on the way out....or something else? All theories gratefully received!

1275midget

Re: What does this funny noise mean?

#2 Post by 1275midget » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:30 pm

Nice landy! It's making the exact same noise as mine. But less so. I wouldn't worry about it, the most likely culprit is worn tappets or rocker gear to make a noise like that. As I said, mine does it more, since I bought it and no problems so far - about 2K. Don't think it's the noise of a head gasket going, just an old engine noise.

Mine also makes funny popping noises out of the exhaust exactly the same as that. It's a a lot dirtier than yours though :)
1.4 K series Midget. Bwaahahaha lunacy. www.robsmidget.com
1968 Series 2A. Lunacy of a more sedate variety.

Luxobarge

#3 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Exhaust manifold leaks can often sound amazingly like tappets - worth a check....
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

stagman

#4 Post by stagman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:37 pm

try listening up a screwdriver or similar using it like a stethoscope to track down where the noise is coming from ?

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:17 pm

Sounds a lot like a worn rocker shaft to me, does the LR engine have a shaft that can be turned around and used upside-down and back to front? If so, then that would take the wear away from the thrust side of the shaft and you'd have a fresh surface in contact with the rockers.

Like I said, I don't know whether the rocker shaft in this engine can be used the other way around, but if it can, it's worth doing that for what little time it takes to swap it over.

Some engines (Triumph iron OHVs for example) have to run the rocker shaft in one particular way because of oil feed arrangements others, such as the Reliant 600, 700, 750 and 850cc engines, respond well to this technique. :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Willy Eckerslyke

#6 Post by Willy Eckerslyke » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:36 pm

A new (pattern) rocker shaft is only about 12 quid, so not worth turning upside down.
Part number: ERC6341(originally 554070) but don't take my word for it!