Dull headlamps.

Post your technical queries / problems here!
BXBXBXBX

Dull headlamps.

#1 Post by BXBXBXBX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:18 pm

Hello , sorry not sure where to put this as it could have been a question but has been cured but may be of interest. New headlamps and bulbs, of the correct wattage, reason for replacing was that the silvering had gone dull and was of the coated plastic type so not really recoverable. Disappointed with the result as it was not that much better so got the meter out, all earth's etc. clean and good. Engine not running. Battery voltage 12.54V so not too bad checked voltage a bulb terminals 10.2V.. Wiring when new only just about up to the job given XX number of years then this can happen.
Answer put in relays to both main and dipped bulb supplies and now has full battery voltage, what a difference I can see where I am going and feel that much safer.
What brought this on was a night 11pm + main road and a tractor and trailer No lights or number plate nothing. Missed him but it was a bit close.
Cheers.
Geoff.

TerryG

Re: Dull headlamps.

#2 Post by TerryG » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi Geoff, I have had this happen in the past due to burnt contacts inside my headlamp switch (caused by a previous owner fitting extra lights scotch locked on to the existing wiring). It may be worth doing a quick check of yours to make sure it's ok and doesn't give up the ghost leaving you in the dark.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

BXBXBXBX

Re: Dull headlamps.

#3 Post by BXBXBXBX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Terry G thank you for that, the headlamp switch was sorted a little while ago, me clumsy sod heaved a little toooo hard and it being old brittle plastic it broke. All the connections are made out of cr+p metal and despite cleaning and coating, the plugs and sockets go a nice shade of green and the wire a lovely black colour. Short of making a complete new wiring harness, switch gear etc. it's difficult. Used daily at the moment and no garage. It will come down to it eventually, garage and make a harness, not that difficult just time and enough money to do it.
Cheers.
Geoff.