Triumph 2500 auto as a tow car?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
JammyD

Triumph 2500 auto as a tow car?

#1 Post by JammyD » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:21 pm

I'm looking to get a Caravan in the new year and have been searching the maximum towing capacity for the 2500 and it seems I'm ok for around 1250kg. I'm sure the car's up to it and just to make sure I'm going to fit an oil cooler for the transmission. I'd really appreciate the forum's views as to my assumptions and any other advice relating to this subject.

Luxobarge

Re: Triumph 2500 auto as a tow car?

#2 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:49 pm

We had a 2.5pi auto when I was a kid and towed a caravan all over the place with no problems - but we did indeed have a gearbox oil cooler fitted.

Go for it.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

harvey

Re: Triumph 2500 auto as a tow car?

#3 Post by harvey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:52 pm

JammyD wrote: I'm sure the car's up to it and just to make sure I'm going to fit an oil cooler for the transmission. I'd really appreciate the forum's views as to my assumptions and any other advice relating to this subject.
I think you'll find that it already has a really good cooler fitted, a separate one that lies across the front of the rad at the bottom. (Not one of the ones with a loop in the rad that fail and fill your gearbox up with coolant....) One of the few things (IMHO) which is a far better arrangement than its main rival at the time, the P6. If I have got things muddled up, then the Stag definitely has one that should fit without problems.
Currently over 35 years worth of fixing 35 boxes.
Hoping to reach 65 years worth of fixing 65 boxes.