Recommend auto angle grinders

Post your technical queries / problems here!
ChrisD

Recommend auto angle grinders

#1 Post by ChrisD » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:16 am

Hi all, I'm new on here but avid reader of PC.

I'm looking to restore a couple of old doors bought for my Porsche 911.I'm looking to buy a good quality angle grinder. Any recommendations re make and price. Auto work only and something that doesn't give up the ghost after 1 job ;)

Cheers

ChrisD

Dave M

Re: Recommend auto angle grinders

#2 Post by Dave M » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:06 pm

If you've got an Aldi nearby keep an eye out for their specials - my old (and vey much abused) powecraft grider has lasted longer than anything else I've had over the years, all of which were 'quality' brands.
David

1977 Vauxhall VX2300 saloon (GLS spoiler, getrag 5-speed box, Bydenstein head)
1976 Vauxhall Sporthatch (in pieces in the garage!)
2003 MG ZT-T (my daily driver)
1993 Mini Cooper 1.3 Spi (my wife's summer runabout)

jimmyybob

#3 Post by jimmyybob » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:32 pm

I dont think you can go wrong with an angle grinder there all brutish devices not like drills that have 'features' a grinder is just a big motor with a handle.

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:01 pm

I'd agree with both of the above posts. Mine came from Wilkinson's and is a Draper brand one; only £12.99. It's now been used and abused over the past couple of years and even with the knot brush on it, the motor copes fine.

Aldi, Lidl and Netto are all known for their cheap but perfectly decent power tools that appear in between the usual lines of food-related messages and alcoholic beverages.
These three low-rent supermarkets tend to put leaflets through the letterbox every so often that inform of up & coming tool offers, they're all well worth looking at.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

SirTainleyBarking

#5 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:40 pm

I bought a £10 grinder (probably Draper as well)that still works after around 10 years of total neglect and abuse, only real fault with it is the gearbox has developed a load of lash and its really noisy. Still works mind you.
That was substituted for a £25 Black and decker which has a removeable side handle (The other grinders one snapped off) and has the advantage that its quieter.
(Well quiet is relative for an angle grinder)

I'd buy a cheapo, and put the extra money on a pair of ear defenders and some goggles- I've been a bit lax with the ear defenders in the past, and have not great hearing, I use them regularly now.
I find Aldi do cracking deals on discs as well. A pack of 10 cutting discs for a fiver? Can't fault that
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

TriumphDriver

#6 Post by TriumphDriver » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:42 am

My Black and Decker is coming up on twenty years now, the only one I've ever owned - it's been well used!
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

Luxobarge

#7 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:50 am

My original B&D died in a big way after 5 fairly hard years of use. Now replaced with a DeWalt, which I've had for nearly 10 years and even more hard use, and it still performs like new - and spares are available if it ever does break!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Willy Eckerslyke

#8 Post by Willy Eckerslyke » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:10 pm

My B&D with a 3-year warranty was replaced FOC when it died after 2 years. The second one lasted for another three or so. I tried a cheapish German one (Einhell or something) that lasted about a month. Current Bosch still going strong after 3 or 4 years.

MG Mal

#9 Post by MG Mal » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Amongst my pile of grinders accumulated over many years, my best buy so far was a "Challenge extreme" variable speed grinder from Argos.

Paid around £20 for it, and it doubles up nicely for polishing and cutting back paint as well as the usual grinding jobs etc.

It's coming up 15years old now, and still going strong.

mal.

m.thaddeus

#10 Post by m.thaddeus » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Hello There

As you can imagine I give my angle grinder a lot of stick. I gave up buying big brand grinders a long time ago after an expensive B&D caught fire in my hand. Big price and famous name counts for nothing I am afraid, and these days I aim to pay between £10 and £15 for a budget machine from B&Q or Homebase or whatever.
If it lasts a year then that is fine and if dont -I take it back with the ticket and they give me a new one.

Actually Ed and I run two of the things - one for cutting and one for grinding. They are both from B&Q and have done about 18 months without a problem.

What is critical though is the power rating. Aim for about 650 watts,-much less and it will struggle. Much more and it will kick like a mule.