Knocking Noises Triumph Vitesse MK1 1600

Post your technical queries / problems here!
triumphtim

#1 Post by triumphtim » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 am

I had to replace my front brake pads toady but while I was there I needed to clean and sort out the front callipers. Absolute pain in the backside job, plenty of swearing and cups of tea but got it all back together and bled the brakes. While I had the car jacked up at the front I gave everything a clean, greased it all up and put some wax oil in the outriggers. I decided while I was at it to do the same at the back and jacked up the rear. It’s much easier to bleed the brakes with the rear wheels off. Anyway I dropped the car back down and had a good blast to ensure everything worked ok. Then a knocking began one knock under braking then the other on accelerating on the rear off side wheel. Now I thought perhaps something to do with the brakes seeing as I've messed about with them, maybe a leaking master cylinder causing rear drum to stick?, but the levels hadn’t gone down. Is it possible that the suspension or my worse fears something around the rear hub is at fault?

I jacked the car up this morning removed the wheels and depressed the bake. One knock on when I pressed down and assume when driving one knock off when accelerating. The car has sat for 6 months handbrake off so could it be lack of use and things just deteriating?

Any help much appreciated

Best

Wicksy

Re: Knocking Noises Triumph Vitesse MK1 1600

#2 Post by Wicksy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:18 am

Antiroll bar droplinks can give a knock and it can be deceptive to isolate the source although they generally clunk over bumps too.
They are easy to replace so if yours look shot or are ancient, try replacing them, worth a try if theres no obvious wear elsewhere I would have thought8-)

spiderbloke

#3 Post by spiderbloke » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:06 am

I had something similar on my Vitesse based Gentry. Turned out to be the half shaft UJ bearings broken up on one journal. £7 and a lot of swearing later all was well. I think it broke up when I jacked the back up.
So many broken bits, So little time

TriumphDriver

#4 Post by TriumphDriver » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:35 am

You're getting this when static, and depressing the brakes?
I had thought it may have been worn mountings, either gearbox or differential, so you'd get a thump when accelerating and another when slowing, but not when stationary.
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!