Bendix starter motor and AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Post your technical queries / problems here!
pryantcc

Re: Bendix starter motor and AHHHHHHHHHHHH

#11 Post by pryantcc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:21 pm

I realise it's a bit late, but I'm with Luxobarge on this one. At least you can send the new starter back if it doesn't help. If your old starters can't even turn it with the plugs out, then something is not working as designed!
Might be a silly question, but have you tried starting with your foot on the clutch to take the gearbox out of the equation?

Good luck and let us know what you find out!!

Edit:
I just realised, you also had issues with the starter not engaging. I wonder if the ring gear hs been put back on the right way around? Is there a chamfer on the ring gear teeth? is it on the side which meets the cog on your starter?
Last edited by pryantcc on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerryG

#12 Post by TerryG » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

It's annoying but it will be worth it when you have finished.
most people dream of having a "new" jag. not only will yours be good as new but you can say you built it yourself!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

pryantcc

#13 Post by pryantcc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:26 pm

I should really read the posts more carefully! About your split pin, is it behind the hefty spring somewhere?

Grease Monkey

#14 Post by Grease Monkey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:53 am

pryantcc wrote:
Edit:
I just realised, you also had issues with the starter not engaging. I wonder if the ring gear hs been put back on the right way around? Is there a chamfer on the ring gear teeth? is it on the side which meets the cog on your starter?
Yes, I was thinking about the ring gear being fitted the right way round, the teeth should have a 'lead in chamfer' towards the gearbox side as the starter motor 'Bendix' engages from the rear, if this chamfer is on the wrong side the starter may jam when engaging, I hope not for your sake as it will mean engine out and flywheel off.
We have a high torque starter fitted to the PC Jag and it works great.

John.
1964 Sunbeam Rapier IV
1966 Sunbeam Alpine V GT
1981 Mini City
1983 MG Metro
1997 MGF
2003 MG ZS
2004 MG ZT T

suffolkpete

#15 Post by suffolkpete » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:41 am

I hesitate to disagree with a mechanic of John's experience :) but surely the purpose of the chamfer is to align the teeth and guide them into engagement. If it's the wrong way round the starter will engage noisily or not at all. I think that either the pitch of the teeth is incompatible or the lateral distance between the ring gear and the bendix is wrong causing them to be too close together or too far apart. If they are too far apart, then the effect would be the same as worn teeth. I can't suggest why that is though, unless the wrong parts have been fitted somewhere.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

JPB

#16 Post by JPB » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Could it be that the ring gear is intended for a car with a pre-engaged starter and not for one with an inertia starter? This would, by default, place the teeth the "wrong" way round as the difference between the two types of ring gear is that the thrust is applied to the opposite sides, so the taper, albeit slight, would mean that, to fit the wrong gear to the flywheel, it could only fit "backwards" on.

Just FGS don't ask how I found this out. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

s-type

#17 Post by s-type » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi guys. right.

Here is the fix.

High torque starter motor. Engine sprang in to life immediately. :D

So to resolve the question of which side on the fly wheel. I have done lots of research here...

As a re-cap, the pre engaged uses the front and the inertia type hits the back. It varies from car to car. However on a Jaguar it does not matter.
The cause is thus.
The teeth on the pre-engaged starter are chamfered to fit the blunt fly wheel teeth. It uses a solenoid to push the drive cog on the starter in to the fly wheel, then and only then is the drive applied. This means the teeth are pre meshed before it spins up.

I have been on the Lotus forums and the guys there are having similar conversations, many of them have had them for 3 or more years on cars in regular use and removed the starter and checked the teeth, they report no wear at all. The story is similar on the Jaguar forums.

If you disagree with any of the above you will need to talk to
http://www.eurolec-components.co.uk/

As they are selling 10000’s of these round the world with no problems.

Now, to get it tuned up and a MOT!!!!! ;)
1967 S-type Jaguar -Running like a dream.
1971 DS420 Hearse. -Now actually running and has just run a 16.7 Quarter Mile @ Santa Pod. - bloody hell!

Oh and your 1995 Volvo is not a classic. Still think it is? Take it to a classic car show.....

Luxobarge

#18 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:44 pm

Is the high-torque motor you got a pre-engaged type then?
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

s-type

#19 Post by s-type » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:14 pm

Luxobarge wrote:Is the high-torque motor you got a pre-engaged type then?
you bet your barge it is! (yes)
1971 DS420 Hearse. -Now actually running and has just run a 16.7 Quarter Mile @ Santa Pod. - bloody hell!

Oh and your 1995 Volvo is not a classic. Still think it is? Take it to a classic car show.....

s-type

#20 Post by s-type » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:14 am

Oh, I needed a new battery as well as a new starter... My battery just does no have the juice!!!!
so...
Turns over (nice and fast), there is a spark (at the plugs), plenty of petrol, the points have a nice spark...

So I guess the timing is off? Oh great, the one thing I don't really understand (how to set). I cant use a strobe as its not even running, I will do some googling as i think there is some sort of bulb test I need to do.
So the machine shop set the engine timing, the cams to the timing chain etc, its just the ignition timing I need to nail.

Any other thoughts on why it wont start appreciated... :)