LPG in an engine without hardened valveseats?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
OneCarefulOwner

LPG in an engine without hardened valveseats?

#1 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Fri May 13, 2011 6:48 pm

I'm often tempted by the idea of converting one of my old Allegros to run on LPG, partly for the saving over the remaining life of the car, partly for the difference of it, but mostly because I don't know better. Anyway, I've talked about it elsewhere before & the main thing to look out for that was mentioned at the time was that, as a carb'ed engine, it would need careful regulation so as to avoid a manifold explosion.

I've more recently been exploring LPG as an option on other vehicles, and the manifold thing hasn't been mentioned anywhere in relation to these applications despite some of them also using carbs - but what has been mentioned is increased wear on the valve guides & the unsuitability in some engines not designed/modified to run on unleaded petrol.

Saying I was brave/foolish enough to go down this route, would I need to install a lead-free head to my Allegro, or would using lead replacement additive in the startup fuel be enough to keep things running smoothly?
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

TerryG

Re: LPG in an engine without hardened valveseats?

#2 Post by TerryG » Fri May 13, 2011 6:53 pm

I would suggest asking on http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/ to be certain as there is a bloke on there that knows everything there is to know about gas conversions. From memory though you would need to have the head converted.

If you have the mixture and timing right the risk of combustion in the manifold is minimal (i have cured mine completley by advancing my ignition a few degrees further)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

bnicho

#3 Post by bnicho » Tue May 17, 2011 12:08 am

There are a lot of older cars in Aus on LPG which don't have hardened valve seats.

Many of them use a little tank under the bonnet to dispense flashlube or valvemater into the intake manifold via a vacuum takeoff.

We used to be able to buy kits for this in good auto parts stores. Just found one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flashlube-Va ... 1e63aa1f42

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

OneCarefulOwner

#4 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Tue May 17, 2011 5:56 am

Ah, I'd seen something about those kits but only in relation to high-BHP turbocharged engines! Fancy an old A series needing the same tweaks as a turbonutter :D
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox