Triumph stag- MOT

Post your technical queries / problems here!
gosnell1005

Triumph stag- MOT

#1 Post by gosnell1005 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:26 pm

Not very happy today,the Stag failed an MOT on Wed for 2 items, number 1 window washer not working took 10 secs to repair found cable had come of pump connection 10 secs to repair , 2nd item number plate not light,found loose connection at lamp another 30 sec to fix. On top of this I left the car overnight for them to repair and re test but was told the following day that it was too big a job for them and I had to take the car to a Auto electrician, I removed the car and decided to have a quick look and as I said about 2 minutes and both items were fixed. when I rang the garage up for a re test they said the earliest they could test the car is the following Wed.I just think that they try to take advantage as I am disabled.Just to clarify proir to taking the car for the test all items were working!!.

OneCarefulOwner

Re: Triumph stag- MOT

#2 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Fri May 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Interesting that both fails were just wires that had "fallen off" but I think if they really wanted to take advantage they wouldn't have created jobs they couldn't fix themselves. Still, be sure they give you the free retest as any delay between when they failed it and when they can fit it back in is not your fault.
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

gosnell1005

#3 Post by gosnell1005 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:01 pm

I think that possibly the issue with loose electrics is possibly due to prior to me buying the car not long ago It had a new floor pan welded in so as you can imagine a lot of electrics along with other stuff had to be removed. It was upsetting there appeared to no attempt to have a quick look.

john

suffolkpete

#4 Post by suffolkpete » Fri May 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Difficult to say whether they were trying to rip you off or just plain incompetent. Either way. I'd go elsewhere next time. My local MoT man will just replace things like failed bulbs on the spot, or tweak the headlight adjustment. Did you know you can now download the official MoT Testing Manual from here. http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/d ... guides.htm
If you think you've been done, you can look up chapter and verse and confront them with it.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

stagman

#5 Post by stagman » Fri May 13, 2011 7:39 pm

I would just find another garage for next year - at least it was a simple fix

Wicksy

#6 Post by Wicksy » Sun May 15, 2011 7:22 am

It has sbeen my experience that you worry about issues with brakes, steering joints, corrosion and the like but completly over look "simple everyday" items like wiper blades lights not working or horns and even frayed or dog chewed!! seat belts.
I now put my cars through a checklist - easily downloaded from a selection of sites- and it's amazing what you come up with and you don't have to be a master technician to sort most of the niggles. Saves a lot of hassle such as the above and time and money spent revisting MOT stations too, which is good :D

pryantcc

#7 Post by pryantcc » Sun May 15, 2011 10:11 am

gosnell1005 wrote:I just think that they try to take advantage as I am disabled.
I agree with your point about it being rubbish that they didn't check out these items, but I don't understand how things would have been different if a non-disabled person had these same electrical problems?!

TriumphDriver

#8 Post by TriumphDriver » Sun May 15, 2011 10:43 am

gosnell1005 wrote:I just think that they try to take advantage as I am disabled.
It's a conspiracy!
You'll probably find that under the ubiquitous Health and Safety, they're probably MORE worried because of this and want the work done properly, so there's no comeback.
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#9 Post by mr rusty » Sun May 15, 2011 6:09 pm

I suppose that testers have to draw a line somewhere.....sometimes what would appear to be a simple electrical fault turns into a bit of a marathon, and I'm sure we've all gone into a test station with all working lamps only to fail on one :roll: It's not even as if they're fiddling us, I once actually stood and watched one of my cars fail on a number plate lamp that chose the test to fail.....grrrrrrrr........and it took me at least 20 mins to sort out:screwdriver out, clean up the earth, etc.... now where do testers draw the line at 'free' work? 5 mins? 10? 15mins? There's a limit to goodwill!
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.