Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

Post your technical queries / problems here!
Topline

Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

#1 Post by Topline » Sun May 08, 2011 8:46 am

Can anyone recommend a good alloy wheel refurbishment service, I am in West Yorkshire so the nearer the better.My wheels are Mk2 Cosmics so part painted,part polished,the problem I have is that the outer polished rims have quite a few dings and scrapes which will probably need extra material welding? in and re-machining,otherwise I would do them myself. I was hoping that PC might have given some names of refurbishers in their recent alloy wheel feature but no luck. ay help or adbvice gratefully received.
1978 Mini - Under long term restoration,bought as an incomplete rolling shell

Luxobarge

Re: Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

#2 Post by Luxobarge » Sun May 08, 2011 9:19 am

There are loads of places that claim to do this, but often all they'll do is clean the wheel up a bit and spray it with ordinary paint. This will not last, you get what you pay for.

Have a look at these guys:

http://www.spitandpolish.co.uk/

IMHO they are the best in the UK and not exceptionally expensive. I know they are nowhere near you, but give them a ring as they operate a UK-wide collection and delivery service.

They pretty much replicate the manufaturer's process, by stripping the wheel completely, blasting it clean, repairing any damage, powder coat and bake the new finish, re-fit and balance tyres etc.

I had a wheel done on my Jag. It had previously been done by one of the "cheap" places, and after less than a year it was bubbling up with corrosion and the laquer peeling off. I got S&P to do it and it came back as good as the original factory finish. No, actually that's not true, it was better than original, the paint was thicker and smoother, and 7 years later it's still immaculate and totally undamaged.

BTW when I say "repair any damage" they can resurrect some pretty badly damaged wheels, including bent ones and ones with lumps knocked out - and they don't just wodge a load of filler in there....

I don't have any connection with this company, just a very impressed and happy client.

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Adam43

Re: Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

#3 Post by Adam43 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:47 pm

They aren't near you Topline, but for others reading the page I recommend www.mintalloys.co.uk. The website is full of new car wheels, but they did my Jag's (another Jag Luxo!) minilites - very nice.
The guy picked them up from my work and returned them a few days later. A friendly and helpful service. He also helped me chose what colour to have as I wanted a change.
Here is the end result: