MGB lumpy running on light load

Post your technical queries / problems here!
233sqn

MGB lumpy running on light load

#1 Post by 233sqn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:40 am

My MGB runs really well, starts on the button, ticks over smoothly and pulls well without flat spots or pinking, but I can’t seems to get rid of what feels like lumpy running on very light load, ie cruising at 30-40 mph on the flat.

Engine is over bored to 2000cc, lightened and balanced, 123 dizzy, I have tried various ignition timing settings and 14 BTDC seems the best. The carb’s are good, rebuilt and with richer needles and accurately set up. Plugs are a good colour.

Any suggestions? The fact it runs so well the rest of the time is baffling.

thansk...

kevin

Re: MGB lumpy running on light load

#2 Post by kevin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:41 am

With all the tuning that has gone on, have you had the car on a rolling road for a good set-up session?
from my bike racing days, sounds like a bit of over fueling going on to me..just a hunch though

Kev

TerryG

#3 Post by TerryG » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:51 am

I have had a comparable problem with an a-series which was caused by low compression on a single cylinder. it sounded fine but a 30psi variance meant it stumbled a bit at 35 in top. Fitting hardened valve seats sorted it.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Indeed - double check the valve clearances then a compression test would be a good start, and take it from there.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.