Latest issue - February 2011 - your thoughts please!

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
admin
Site Admin

Latest issue - February 2011 - your thoughts please!

#1 Post by admin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Hello folks, the latest issue of PC has been on sale for about a week - any thoughts / feedback? I liked the Triumph feature, but then again i would wouldn't i? I wrote half of it, went on the trip and didn't have to drive to Peterborough from Coventry to get to work for once...

That was happy day i can tell you.

Don't hold back - any thoughts good or bad are appreciated and remember, this is now an independently run forum so if there's anything you didn't like don't worry about posting it here!

spiny

Re: Latest issue - February 2011 - your thoughts please!

#2 Post by spiny » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm

I have a question about the sierra you're testing the rust products on. For the 'control' panel, you're leaving the roof bare, as far as I can tell ? Wouldn't it be better to use a panel that can be unbolted and replaced nice and easily like the bootlid or a door ? it seems like you're making work for yourselves if the rust really takes hold and needs to be cleaned out of the gutters / seams etc :)
1989 BMW E30 2.5 Tourer - Daily
1970 MG Midget - resto nearly finished
1978 VW Type2 twin slider - getting there, see link above ^

admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by admin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:38 pm

The idea is to leave the roof and bootlid to rust before using them for other rustproofing products later on - ie, products that claim to work directly onto already rusted areas and also rust converting / curing products.

Besides which, the rusty roof already looks pretty cool...

admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by admin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Oh and sorry, forgot to mention - the control areas are the bare metal strips we've left between each applied product to prove that this particular rust teat has actually been outside in the cold, salty winter air.

Hope that clears things up a bit!

spiny

#5 Post by spiny » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:50 pm

that makes sense, I did wonder why the bonnet was stripey :D

roverman1

#6 Post by roverman1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:03 pm

I think this months magazine is ok but would it be possible to feature a more varied selection of cars and not just Triumphs,Austins and MG's from the 40's 50's 60's, i'm thinking more of the modern classics from say the early 90's and before.
I know that some people will frown on cars from this era but it's 2011 and 1990 is 21 years ago,lets not forget that Minors, Console's prefects etc were all throw away cars, street furniture just like the fiesta's Sierras, Nova's and micra's and the like.
So keep up the good work :)

TerryG

#7 Post by TerryG » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:35 pm

"Magnificent eleven" was a good read. Matt with a minor was entertaining, having seen him with it on the cover i was expecting a v8 powered one so it was a nice surprise to see him in a normal car!
I'm amazed you found a sierra that had any metal left for you to test the rust protection on ;) It will be very interesting to see the results.
The only spelling mistake i spotted (i know mine is terrible) was John Simpson having acquired his mini "more than for years ago"

The mag is a good read, I've been buying it for years and have no intention of stopping. The anniversary issue is still my favourite recent one though.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

spiny

#8 Post by spiny » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:14 am

there was another typo I spotted - on the jensen article, the sideline has the list of things found in the car, including some 'beeds'

also, the crossword is too hard this month :D

Paul240480

#9 Post by Paul240480 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Sadly I only get to read about 3 or 4 issues a year, my fault for living in France :roll: I tend to grab a copy when ever I'm in UK, or ask for visitors to bring one with them. Euro subscription again sadly, is too much of a lump to justify. Of those I get to see I do enjoy tho' :D

Minxy

#10 Post by Minxy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Having just (re)joined I’m rather embarrassed to be negative but I opted not to buy this month’s for the very reason admin thought it was so good. I’m not overly fond of TR’s and really by the time they were taken from the equation and the adverts there wasn’t much left to show for the money. Sorry :oops:
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.