PC Deputy Editor

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
bnicho

Re: PC Deputy Editor

#61 Post by bnicho » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:51 pm

If there is a single thing on this forum I personally would like to discourage is "That's not a Classic" type comments. I believe nobody has the right to say that X marque is not a classic or will never be a classic. We all have different tastes and that variety is what makes the classic car world interesting!

Nobody can please everyone all of the time and that applies to PC's choice of feature cars too. I don't consider all the cars PC features are classics. But I also accept that others have opinions different to my own.

Perhaps certain people who have responded to this thread need to take a long hard look at themselves and open their minds a bit. Or consider whether this forum is really the right place for them?

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#62 Post by mr rusty » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Far from the truth- the Minor was a revolutionary car when it came out. In many ways, a huge step up from pre war cars- first mass produced UK monocoque, first mass market UK with rack and pinion, reolutionary US inspired styling, brilliantly designed suspension set up, easy to work on and designed to be reliable.
...relax,nobody is dismissing them- everybody likes a Minor, but you are looking at them as a 'classic' in the wrong way. it's an accepted bona fide classic alright, but not for the reasons you state.....looked at coldly, it's a prety blatant rip-off of the pre-war Traction Avante: monocogue shell, torsion bar springing, rack'n'pinion steering......nothing radical about the Minor at all, it was all someone elses tried and tested technology from 15 years prerviously- it wasn't new, it wasn't radical engineering, and if it hadn't been for the war, the Vauxhall ten would've beaten it to the market for monocogue mass production.

What makes a Minor a Classic is none of that stuff, no, it's more than that, it's nostalgia that does it..the same that makes say a VW beetle or a Standard vanguard or indeed a Marina or Metro a classic, nobody in their right mind would consider the Beetle to be a 'good' car in it's road manners, but it's so much more than the sum of it's parts in other ways- and that's the same thing as for any other old car,that's why the mag put what you consider to be mundane old cars in!
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Grease Monkey

#63 Post by Grease Monkey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:14 pm

Morrisand944sman, you are getting my back up, it's people like you who put off the younger generation from getting into classic cars, a typical narrow minded bigot. I'm 58 years old and I hope never turn into you, if the classic car scene is to move forward we have encourage the youngsters into our hobby, I collect cars that I remember from my youth, be they good or bad, that doesn't matter, they are all part of our heritage and deserve to be saved, you may not like it, but you are very blinkered in your views.

Yours Angrily
John Simpson.
1964 Sunbeam Rapier IV
1966 Sunbeam Alpine V GT
1981 Mini City
1983 MG Metro
1997 MGF
2003 MG ZS
2004 MG ZT T

Luxobarge

#64 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:26 pm

See what happens when this subject comes up?

Enough already - lock on.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.