Land Speed Records - Wrong AGAIN!!!

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
EricPolymath

Land Speed Records - Wrong AGAIN!!!

#1 Post by EricPolymath » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:38 am

The article on Page 6 of the September issue implies that Donald Campbell's speed of 403 mph set in 1964 still stands as the land speed record for wheel driven vehicles. I beg to differ:

In 1965 Bob Summers drove "Goldenrod" to a record of 409.277 mph (powered by four V8 engines through the wheels)

In 1991 Al Teague drove Speed-o-Motive at 409.998 mph (powered by a single V8 supercharged engine through the wheels)

In 2001 Don Vesco drove The Turbinator at 458.443 mph. (powered by a gas turbine through the wheels)

All these were recognised as wheel driven records by the FIA.

As I recall this is the third time that I have written to PC over the years correcting poorly researched articles relating to land speed records. The occasional mistake is unavoidable but is clear that whoever wrote this article didn't bother to check their facts at all. This is really poor journalism.