COTY feature

Have your say here, by contacting the Practical Classics editorial team directly through this forum. They'd love to know what you think of the magazine good or bad, so let them know here.
Oldcarnut

COTY feature

#1 Post by Oldcarnut » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:50 pm

I would have thought the model of the Fiat 127 (series 2) pictured in the COTY article would not have been the model that won it back in 1972.Are they no correct (series 1) ) models available, or are they all rusted away :)

Correct model

JPB

Re: COTY feature

#2 Post by JPB » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:19 pm

:thumbs:
I'm relieved that it's not just me! I have a 1975 P plate 127 - no idea where, haven't seen the thing in ages - which not only has a cat flap where some preferred a hatch, but also has the frontal styling like that one in your thumbnail image. It's not actually that rotten, started out as a yellow example and was painted black in 1991 as the previous owner wasn't fond of yellow. Why she didn't buy a black car to start with I don't know.
The only thing I remember about the car was that when I bought it, there was an eighth (roughly, I didn't check the exact weight) in the ashtray along with a pack of papers and some very dry Old Holborn, all of which made the trip home much less horrible. :lol:

Actually, there are other things I remember; that little 903cc pushrod engine revved like a mad thing and gave the car a surprisingly good turn of speed, the handling was, erm, "interesting" but only because the rear spring had a break close to the middle so wasn't really doing that much, the heater was ferocious and the wipers didn't work unless the left indicator was switched on. But at least the brake calipers weren't seizing on all the way home and the interior really was nice.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Oldcarnut

#3 Post by Oldcarnut » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:44 pm

Before and after??... :D

Image Image

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:53 am

That's interesting. Seeing both, I think it looks better in the black after all. :thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Oldcarnut

#5 Post by Oldcarnut » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:35 pm

I like black cars, if that colour doesn't improve a cars looks, then it cant be improved in my opinion... :P

Seeing the two Renaults in the feature reminds me of how I prefer the classic renault cars with the numbers after the make, R4,5,6 etc....i.e pre 1990 ish.Not after that which I think were too bland and unreliable. When I was in school, a family came over from the UK to live and a son of theirs started in the local primary school, and they had a brown R16.Probably an early one.It may have planted the "likability" factor with me in these cars... :thumbs:

The brother had a silver 1983 R9 back in the day, ok car.I do remember the distinctive sound the started motor made (a big clunky sound).You would have to lift a ring under the top portion of the gearstick to select reverse (safety I suppose).The rad fan motor went in it as did the water pump which was easy to get at I think.We had an old fan motor lying around with only one magnet in it and fitted it in and it worked too (after it blew a few fuses first).Electronic ignition.Something nice about them though.

The Chrysler/Talbot Alpine was an odd choice though. :geek: Any other Chrysler win the award?

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:46 pm

Any other Chrysler win the award?
Just the two in first places as far as I could see.

In 1976, the Simca 1307/1308/Chrysler Alpine and in 1979 the Simca/Chrysler Horizon. A few more if you start taking into account Peugeot-Talbot products but that would be cheating. :lol:

The full list is here.
Alarmingly, I own or have at some time owned an example of over half of the first placed cars and a further dozen of the 2nd and 3rd placed ones. Perhaps not that shocking when I remind myself that since (I was 14 in December of) 1978, I've had my name on more than 100 registration documents yet have also managed to keep some cars for long periods; 32 years, 7 years and 15 years.
Jeez-o, I'm that fond of useless information.
:lol:
J